Leaders for SM (esp using big topwater)

Wildfish

Wildfish

Hi guys,
I'm heading down south soon and on the way I'm going to fish the James river in VA for smallies. I'm hoping to use some topwater stuff if they'll oblige--esp mice. Do you find its necessary to use flouro leaders for SM to get a good hookset, or can I get away with my regular mono?

Thanks!

If you're fishing topwater, I'd recommend mono. Fluoro sinks.

Mono's gotten solid hooksets for decades. Just pop 'em good and you'll hook them.

Fluoro, to me, is good for the abrasion resistance. If you're fishing heavy cover, I'd consider it.

you're probably talking about mono's tendency to stretch? Don't worry about it, you'll only be fishing a 4-5 ft leader so hooksets won't be a problem

My experience with fluoro vs. mono is as follows:

The "fact" that fluoro sinks is inconsequential. Maybe in the lab, but I've used fluoro for dries and it still floats all but maybe the smallest dries. And when nymphing with flouro, I really see no difference in the sink rate either.

I nymph a lot and often dredge the bottom. As Jay said, Fluoro is a lot more abrasion resistant than mono and is worth the cost (IMO) for that alone.

Upon close inspection, flouro may be a little less visible in the water (it claims to have the same "refractive index" as water - again, back in the lab I guess). I'm not sure how much, and if it is enough to really make a difference.

Fluoro doesn't degrade in the elements like mono. This can be an attribute if you keep tippet for years in your vest, or a negative for the environment. That call is yours.

With regard to price, hands down mono usually is half the price or less than fluoro. Again your call.

Flouro needs extra TLC in the knots, though. I've read you're supposed to use different knots than the cinch I've always used, but as long as you lubricate it extensively, it shouldn't be too bad.

Just lube that fluro up and it will be fine. For some reason Im still not sure how this happened but it's the way I do it and it's worked for me. No matter what Im fishing for I use mono leader and fluro tippet, if fishing tiny dries and i think the fluro is sinking the fly which in my experience hardly ever happens I'll apply floatent to the tippet.

I really struggled with fluro in the erie tribs... not sure if it was the cold weather or a bad spool. Lots of breaks at the fly. Anyone experience this? I use imp clinch for pretty much everything

I've had breaks with it too.

Frankly, I think fluoro mostly sucks, especially for the price.

I've had fluoro breaks in Erie too. I went back to mono and don't have as many problems. You'll always lose your fair share of fish up there, but whatever you can do to reduce that is always good.

Mono is the way to go. End of story.

Flouro sinks, gets wind knots that are impossible to get out, is grossly overpriced, and sucks.

Go with mono every time, except when pike or muskie. Then go stainless steel. If recently heard of Tyger wire. Check it out.

I agree, flourocarbon sucks, it doesn't hold any kind of knot very well and cuts through itself at the knot lubed, wet or not.

I suppose I might try flouro in 2x to 3x for bass with streamers and nymphs, subsurface and if I dislike it as much as I do in 5x and 6x I will quit using it all together.

I think flourocarbon is better suited for spinfishing in larger diameters.

Back