Leader tying season

InCahoots

InCahoots

Care to share? I'm looking for a nice leader formula for 4wt. and 5 wt. rods. Yes I know there are thousands of them all over the Internet. I've tried many of them. I've tinkered with some of my own creations using mainly the dark Maxima. Perhaps someone has a go to formula he or she is willing to share that doesn't violate some sacred oath.

Gilbertsville. I just bought a puppy from there last weekend. Y'all had some snow down that way.

For a casting leader I start with a butt section with the same stiffness as the line weight. I start with about a wing span minus a forearm length (I was told by a guide wingspan is the measurement but he said with my wingspan to cut it off at one elbow) then step down each step (second section half of the butt section, third half of the second, etc) to your desired end.

Might be a little heavy for a 4wt, but this great on a 5wt.

Maxima clear 30" .022, 22" .020, 14 .017, 10" .015, 6" .013
Orvis SS 6" 0X, 6" 2X
Trouthunter 28" 4X

You can easily adjust the last 2 sections to accommodate midge dries to streamers.

Thanks guys. You gave me something to play with. Much appreciated!

Thanks Bruno. I'm familiar with the Harvey slack line formula but I've always be skeptical of my ability to get the leader to turn over.. The old rule of thumb is make the butt 60% of the thickness of the fly line. Most store-bought leaders begin with .023 - .020 butt sections. .015 is certainly light. All I can do is try it. It worked for Harvey and it works for you so I'll give it a try.

Been using the Clouser formula for 4-5-6 weight.

36 inches -- 20 lb--.017 dia
18 inches---15 lb---.015 dia.
10 inches---10 lb---.012 dia.
10 inches---8 lb---.010 dia.
10 inches---6 lb---.009 dia.

Then I follow it up with tippet of my choice. Been using the Eagle Claw cheapo stuff from Walmart. Had great success with it this year. I'm sure some will say I should be using Maxima, but the EC stuff has been working fine for me with quality tippet material.

Experimented a bit with the leader calculator but found Clousers formula to be my go to for trout and bass. Salmon was a different story.

For me, Steve G has a hot formula. It keeps the leader at roughly the length of the rod. In ancient times, this was an important consideration, and we caught fish in those days.

This is what i use for my 3 and 4 wt:
.017 - 10"
.015 - 20"
.013 - 20"
.011 - 20"
.009 - 12"
.007 - 12"

That get's you to ~7.5' down to 4x. I usually put on a xsmall tippet ring and tie off what i need from there.

don't forget about straight mono for wet flies in fast water !

Houli: could you please post up brand(s) you use.Thanks
Tom

Back