Leader / Tippet

Millertime

Millertime

How does everyone feel about this product??

Link

I buy the normal clear leader but I wanted to use this link to illustrate how the system works.

I love it.

After a couple fly changes I usually tie on a good couple feet of nice tippet.

I have had 0 issues with this system and manage to catch fish.

They are like $3 apiece and I buy probably 5 or 6 replacements a year.

So you have to use the special leaders? If so, no thanks. I use tons of different leader setups, and this looks like a commitment to the ones SA makes.

If not, I'd consider giving them a shot. Have they held up to steelhead?

Nail knotting some heavy mono to the fly line, and then blood knotting a leader (either store bought or one that I make) to that works well, does not add bulk, is versatile, inexpensive and proven effective for many years. Never had one break and never have to think about it. On a double taper line, I go all season with that same connection, and only cut it off to turn around the line during the inactivity of winter. I guess I just don't trust line connector products. Maybe I am missing the point.

But good luck on your connectors--hope they continue to give you good service.

yeah Jay they sell 3x all the way up to 8x or so.

very strong durable and yep caught a bunch of steelies on them.

it takes about 3 seconds to change one out.

edit:

I understand what you are saying now.

No, it is their leader.

I don't user tapered leaders for nymphing. They sink too slowly. If not for that, I'd consider giving it a shot.

hmmm good point.

I may try my own in the right conditions.

Here in butler there really isnt a creek where I have trouble getting down. other than maybe slippery rock creek which i rarely fish.

Good call on the taper being slow to sink never even considered that.

i have heard that tappered leader transmits less light down to the hook than mono or fluoro especially , not sure if it matters , some says it does , i only know what works for me , nail knotting 4 lb fluorocarbon nymphing is the cheapest set up there is almost , and only cutting about 1/2 " off fly line to retie is not a big deal either , don't need alot of floating line to fish small streams .....

troutslammer wrote
i have heard that tappered leader transmits less light down to the hook than mono or fluoro especially , not sure if it matters , some says it does

I can't believe any leader setup would transmit a significant amount of light if there is a seperate tippet section knotted on. You may have a point it you are tying directly to the leader without a seperate tippet section, but I would intuitively think the tapered leader would actually make a beter light pipe.

Back