Leader question PLEASE HELP

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

I recently bought a fly rod from Cabala's, w/ line already on it and there is a loop at the end of the fly line, what knot should I use to attach my leader to my fly line or should I cut the loop off... My old rod just had straight line, and I used a nailknot, I could really use some advice, pls help

Just use the loop on the tapered leader and connect it to the loop on the fly line.

Run the loop of the fly line through the loop of the leader, then take the leader through the fly line loop.

Edit: Tree'd.

I use the pre-made tapered leaders that come with a loop already tied to the butt end of the leader, but if you make your own leaders, you can tie a loop in the butt end and use it and the loop in the fly line to form a loop-to-loop connection.

Just feed the loop on the leader into the loop on the fly line, then feed the tippet end of the leader into the loop of the leader, and pull through to complete the loop-to-loop connection.

This makes it very easy to swap leaders without losing any fly line in the process, and without needing to tie a nail knot.

Note: for fly lines that don't have the pre-made loop, I always tie a piece from the butt end of an old leader onto the fly line using a nail knot, then tie a surgeon's knot into the piece of the old leader so I can use loop-to-loop connections.

There's plenty of resources online that explain the benefits of this and I'm sure many people on this forum will also attest to the benefits of using this system.

There are many ways to do it. If you want to use the loop, it is there. If you like a nail knot, cut off the loop and tie a nail knot.

None of my lines have a loop built in, but I have a short piece of mono on all of them with a loop nail knotted onto it like echuck66 said. Except I use a perfection loop instead of a sturgeons knot. The loop to loop IMO is so much easier and quicker than dealing with a nail knot if I need to change a leader.

If I had a built in loop, I'm sure I would just go with that.

A loop on the end of your fly line and loop on the butt end of your leader makes for an easy attachment without knots.

Run the fly line loop through the leader loop and insert the end of the leader (the tippet end) through the fly line loop. The result should look like a square knot (see below).

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 5
Do what e-setter suggested, perfection loop and loop to loop connection. All I use.

I cut off the loop as shortrod noted and tie a piece of thick mono on with a nail knot. Leaders then get blood knotted to the mono. Over time, the mono piece eventually shortens enough to where I cut it off and make a new nail knot, usually about once a year.

That said, the nail knot, for me, is the one that its the biggest PITA to tie. Thankfully I don't do it that often. I just don't like the "hinge" effect I tend to get with loop to loop connections.

But most just put a loop in the end of the leader and hook it in that way. That's why the loop on the fly line is there. Some leaders come with pre-made loops too. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way, I'm just weird.

I'm weird too....I like the nail knot. I use a nail knot tool which allows me to Tie it quickly and not waste much line.

shortrod and pcray, do you use any type of glue or something to seal the end of the fly line you cut?

I've had 2 fly shops set up a piece of mono on the fly line for me before I learned to do it myself. The first used superglue I believe (I should have been paying closer attention, which is why I needed help a second time). The second time a different shop used UV knot sense.

At the time I thought it was just to secure the nail knot. Since then I've also heard people say that water can enter the fly line through the cut and soak it, causing it to sink.

Yes, you should seal the cut ends of the fly line. If you don't, water will enter and cause the tip to begin sinking, as you fear. And -- it doesn't take that long. (I found out the hard way, due to haste and carelessness on the river one day.) Anything like Super glue, Zap-a-Gap, Hard as Nails, even Softex, should do the job.

phiendWMD wrote:
shortrod and pcray, do you use any type of glue or something to seal the end of the fly line you cut?

I haven't. I use a needle knot instead of a of a regular nail knot. I don't really care if a little water gets in, it hasn't been a problem. YMMV.

I would think a tight nail-knot would prevent water from wicking into the line, but I guess not.

needle knot-coat with goop-use a foot long piece of heavy mono-put loop in end-last as long as the fly line-
yeah needle knots are a little tougher and take a little more time but it comes out of end of line.

Hey guys,

Just remember, this is the Beginner Forum. The OP simply asked how to attach a fly line to a leader loop-to-loop. A lot of good info, but try to to overload a newbie with all types of talk about lines and knots and other terms they may not understand, and really need not understand at this point in their FFing.

In other words....KISS :p

I'd be lying if I said I was consistent about it. I've done new nail knots on trips and so forth, and not done it, and I usually then forget. But if the nail knots occur at the normal time (winter set up for all gear), yes, I do use UV Knot Sense.

Though the reason is less about sealing the line from moisture, and more about making a smooth surface so that it doesn't catch on guides.

Thanks Moderator but it's ok... Some of my buddies already taught me most of these knots and the ones that I didn't know I watched on YouTube to learn, anyways Thanks guys really I'm glad for all the suggestions and every posts helps. KEEP THE HELP UP... and again thank you for all that could help me. :)

Back