Leader length for small streams

P

PaScoGi

How small of a leader can you fish on a class A small stream? (dry fly only)

On a typical (stocked) stream I use about 9 to 12 feet of leader (including tippet). Meaning, from the end of my fly line welded loop to the fly it is 9 feet (or 12 feet for glassy pools)

But on class A small streams I just cant cast that long of a length. But when I cut my leader down to 5-7 feet my fly line seems to be too close to the fly and I spook trout (possibly)

So can y'all explain how you dry fly fish small streams?

Thanks for any help.

I fish small Class A streams almost exclusively, using dries 90% of the time. I just use a 7' leader with my 7' St. Croix rod. I like to keep the leader/line knot from having to go through the guides if I can help it. I don't usually have any issues spooking trout. Accurate casting helps a lot with this.

I fish a LOT of small Class A streams and typically fish a 5' or 6' leader for dry flies or nymphs. I don't feel at a disadvantage in any way when fishing this short.

When things are really tight, I have also fished nothing but 3' of tippet attached directly to my fly line.

Last edited:
7.5' leader 4X is my base leader for pretty much all trout fishing. From there I will vary my tippet length to match what I am trying to do fly selection wise.

If the stream is tiny, I will go 6' leader and 12"-18" of tippet. Usually the 6' leaders are just old leaders I keep for small stream fishing or streamer fishing.

I fish small streams with a 7 1/2 foot rod and my leader is usually around 7 1/2 feet to 8 feet.

But some streams that people consider "small" have some long pools and have decent casting room, so I often add tippet to extend it out to around 9 feet.

and typically fish a 5" or 6" leader for dry flies or nymphs. I don't feel at a disadvantage in any way when fishing this short.

When things are really tight, I have also fished nothing but 3' of tippet attached directly to my fly line.
Do you really mean 5 or 6 inch? I thought it was a typo.

I fish small streams with a 7 1/2 foot rod and my leader is usually around 7 1/2 feet to 8 feet.

But some streams that people consider "small" have some long pools and have decent casting room, so I often add tippet to extend it out to around 9 feet.
Basically, this. This is my set-up almost all the time for trout fishing except on exceptionally big water.

I thought we discussed this a few months ago... I agree with Troutbert and Sasquatch. Approximate leader length to rod length on narrow water. You need to have some amount of line out of the guides to make a cast. Also constantly pulling your nail knot into and out of the tiptop when landing and after releasing a fish gets annoying. (It may be just me, but I cringe when my leader is in the guides,)

I've been using a 3ft furled leader with anywhere from 1ft to 3ft of tippet after that. I haven't had any issues spooking fish even with the furled leader not being clear. I'm sure accurate casting helps with that too.

try these

Attachments

• small stream.jpg
    small stream.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 35
I actually feel that it’s more important to match your leader length to rod lenght. So 7 ft rod 7.5-8 ft leader. 8 ft rod 8 ft - 8’6” leader and so forth

Back