Leader Formulas for Nymphing and nymphing with shorter rods

Paulson

Paulson

I wanted to ask after searching if anyone has some favorite leader formulas for nymphing with a standard floating line. I have yet to broach Euro Nymphing, but I am curious if there is some in-between I could swap out from a traditional 9ft tapered leader.

So far I am thinking of making a slightly tapered butt section of Maxima with a sighter to about 7.5 total then using a tippet ring to add fluro tipper to depth and multiple flies.

I personally don't ever use strike indicators, but got some NZ wool to play with. Not sure if I'll ever open it.

Also curious if anyone uses longer euro style leaders with shorter rods. I generally fish a 7-8ft rod in 3-4 weight on alot of streams. I can usually get a good drift but my back cast doesn't get caught up in brush. I just want to gage if its worth an experiment as I understand faster rods should turn over mono rigs better.

Any ideas?

https://troutbitten.com/2019/10/13/the-full-mono-rig-system-all-the-variations-with-formulas-and-adjustments/

Lot of information on this site. I've nymphed 8ft rods on smaller streams with great success.

I've done this for quite some time & played with different combinations & lines. I'm now using clear TrileneXL, 17 -12 - 8 - 4 - & tippet. The combinations are more due to diameter than line test, but I forget what the diameters are. An advantage of doing this is that when the last segment (4lb) gets short due to tippet changes, just tie on a new piece without replacing the whole thing. XL stays straight all day after an initial stretch unlike some store bought leaders.

ebay! type in hi vis nymph leader. You will see a formula! Take a look.

Cool glad to see others do the same. Thanks for that link - I have found alot but not as much over a wide range. Thats helpful.

Springer - Interesting about trilene, I used to hate that stuff and switched the stren when I spin fished. Too much memory but if I go to regular mono over Maxima I'll keep that in mind. Tapered leaders seem to hold too much memory anymore.

I'll check ebay too

I think, i will try something new on this nymphing, mumbo, jumbo. Got a vision. Vision says, maybe, most likely, never saw that coming, a new surprise. It may just work! Problem is, I have to keep it silent to the unfolding. On this one, I will need trust.

You know I have been watching, London Fly fishing club for years. What better choice.

Other side of world takes nymph fishing serious. very serious. We on the otherhand, just try to follow!

Now, this euro stuff, 20 ft. with a sighter, ring and extra. Card, bag, twist tie. Under a buck! 8.00, 9.00, 10.00, 12.00. each. they sell!

Sorry, you got played!

I have had pretty good luck just using 20ft of maxima chameleon down to a tippet ring. From there I tie on about 18-24 inches of cortland bi color indicator material and end that with a tippet ring. At the end, I just tie on my fluro. It's easy and simple, and I have had good luck with it. I use to just tie a tippet ring on the thicker part of a normal tapered leader then use the same sighter etc. I like the maxima chameleon better.

I am a Maxima type of fellow! That is why, Maxima12 is my code name. Lets go one step further. Back in the old days, Jatra International, built Maxima leaders. Then went away! I have been in contact with Maxima, not lately, years ago. I kind of like what I did, keeping Maxima alive. The company did not like the fact, I made leaders, since they do too! But deemed it O K.

Let's lay it out, Maxima is the best! The rest is O K. I am O. K. with the rest but would never find it The best. I do offer, leaders using the rest but the first 4 sections are Maxima.

Perfect trout leader in progressive times! Now, euro leader, What advantage does Maxima have for a 20 footer sitting 1/2 on the reel and the other 1/2 in the air? This makes no sense? Bi color sighter, at 10.00 a spool, O. K. you got a ten to throw away. Fluorocarbon the rest? O. K. another 10. Tippet ring, why not a very small perfection loop. Another 7.00.

Questions, many, People are eating steak and you a hot dog. How about we eat a steak and give a hot dog to the players. How come they get a 20% rise and we as fellow fisherman get 3 %, if lucky.

I just never could buy into that, that is why I went my own way. A 2.50 a piece fly, if I could not afford 6.50 a dozen, 50 years down the road how could I ever afford 30.00 a dozen. Tied my own, no books, no teacher, no internet, over 50 years ago, self taught, self admired, and self claimed. Tied 2 dozen leaders today and a dozen yellow flies. 6 catskill and 6 emergers using dark dun hackle on a size 14 hook. Lets see, saved 30 or so on flies and 60 on leaders.

Now, I will sell some leaders at a fair price. Less than 3 bucks for a dry fly and less than 4 for a saltwater or a nymph leader. Most likely the dozen flies I tied, I will fish 2 and give 10 away, also my spot and also my knowledge. Take a sit on the bank and watch with admiration, someone catching a fish. Yelling and laughing and some time cursing. What a beautiful time to enjoy all Pa. has to offer. Pa. gave me all and I see it my way, for a little payback.

You will never understand the Maxima12, I do not understand myself. I know it is not broken and do not feel the time is right to fix it, me! Me, the glorious luxury of me. I loo for the carbon footprint I left. Since I walked in your trails, I have found none!

I like the thought of being somebody and nobody at the same time!

Maxima12

Maxima best by test

Troutbitten, is that all they have, seen it for years now. Let me ask this, is that the best you can do? Follow it, suits you well. How much for a leader like that? maybe i should make some?

Don't think i will!

Maxima12

I know you would like an answer, to a formula. So would all the others that will snatch it in a second. Seems they like confetti and champagne. I like Cabin Cozy!

The story is always the same. The Champs and the Chumps! I am considered a Chump. I like to be in the modest range. Champs wear a gold ring and i wear nothing.

Maxima12

Working on this, well actually the work is done, time to approach and market. Need a little more time for printed card, some unique approach, put it all together, a nice feather for my hat and a pair of white shoes and a smooth cigar!

Most of all, need lots of leaders. See these other guys selling them at 10 to 12 dollars each. I call them "CON MEN". Mine of course, would be under 5, hope less than that and if you can not afford it, i will give you one! It always comes back and doubles each year!

Seems most work on ,"all they can get". I like. "all i can give" in the meantime, putting a few bucks in my pocket! You know, a sub and a beer! Never been happier than that!

Maxima12

I consider myself a small stream guy and a bit of a George Harvey disciple when it comes to leaders . . . at least for now. My approach is to attach the same 6' base leader that ends with a tippet ring to every spool. Depending on what I'm doing drives what I attach to that tippet ring: could be another step down or two that add a couple more feet before a dry or a sighter and some 5x fluoro with a couple of nymphs. A good article that describes George Harvey's method is here:

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/harveys-new-leader-formula/152361

Have a look. I follow his basic .015", .013", .011", and .009" diameter sections, each approximately 18" long. Where I go off the rail a little is I prefer slightly softer mono - I use Maxima Ultra Green for my base - whereas I believe the majority want some stiffness to turn junk over. Being a small stream PA guy, I'm fishing mostly in the 12-18 hook size range. I'd go smaller but I just can't see s@#!.

I say I'm a George Harvey disciple . . . for now because I'm absolutely intrigued by this whole 'mono rig' game linked further up in this thread.
I learned how to trout fish on spinning gear in NEPA, I'm not too proud to thumb my nose at something as familiar as the tight line mono rig.

Thanks for that Maxima and Jeffroey.

I have not had much time to experiment with trout recently as it's been warm. Then I lost my last caddis emerger. Waiting for more flies to come in it just got too warm and I'm switching to smallies, I guess sort of late in the game but still good fishing to be had. Thats an eaiser leader forumla but I need a 6wt graphite rod now!

Anyway this will come back into play during the winter - I enjoy fishing small midges that time of year with light tippets although my hands hate it.

Back