leader and tipping

J

jradan3

i am fishing a 8'6 5 wt rode with 5wt line, i am a beginner and confused on leader and tipping...i will be fishing central PA, and most of West PA. 3x, 5x..etc what does all of this mean? any help would be appreciated. thanks...

taperd leaders = dry fly fishing , fast or colored water = 7'6" leader 5x or 6x , gin clear water = 9' leader 6x , nymphing or streamers 3x or 4x , the smaller the number the heavier the tippet , just a general rule , take the size dry fly and divide by three to get the correct tippet size , example , size 16 fly , should

Tippet is just line that you add to the end of a leader.

Many leaders are tapered so that they transfer energy properly to the fly. As troutslammer said, many here feel that tapered leaders are unnecessary (and even detrimental) for nymphing.

The 5x, 4x etc all refer to the tippet diameter and lb test of the material. You should also try to match the size of the fly to the tippet.

Here is a rough guide:

Tippet Diameter Hook Size
.011" - (0x) 1/0 - 4
.010" - (1x) 4-8
.009" - (2x) 6-10
.008" -(3x) 10-14
.007" - (4x) 12-16
.006" - (5x) 14 - 22
.005" - (6x) 16 - 24

I think one mistake most beginners make is they cut off too much of their tapered leader before replacing it with their tippet. I've seen too many guys with about 3 feet left, pretty much just the butt, and trying to attach 6x tippet to it. Make sure you have many different sizes. For most trout fishing, even steelhead, if you have 2x to 6x you should be fine. I rarely use anything different than 5x for trout. I'll go higher and lower here and there, but that's about it. If you're a big streamer guy, then just put some heavier tippet on, or cut down your leader a bit and tie one on. Don't make it too complicated. If your cast doesn't seem to be going where you want it to go, either your casting isn't that great, or your fly is not the right size for your tippet. Just play with it a while and you'll get it right.

Ryan

thanks bud, im all set then, now i just gotta gear up

Back