Lead Tape

P

pwk5017

Hello, I am looking to start tying some czech nymphs and I really like the look and ease of application of lead tape over wire. Is there a specific brand guys are using for their adhesive backed lead or will any tennis/golf tape do? Also, are these tapes a standard thickness, or do they vary? I am wondering how thick this stuff is to determine how well it would work for size 14s etc. Currently looking at Tourna's lead tape cause it is cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tourna-Lead-Tape-Tennis-Racquet-Racket-Tape-Golf-Club-1-4in-72-/130655967742?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6bb3d9fe

Patrick

any will do..

I've been looking all over the place for it too. I've found some in golf stores, but not in rolls like you found on ebay. The main problem I'm finding with ordering it online is it typically costs an arm and a leg to ship.... well because it's lead.

Yours doesn't look too bad from my findings though. I might just hop on that deal.

The nice thing about lead tape is you can taper it to your hook for your own needs. Sometimes lead wire can get too bulky.

Yeah, shipping is typically as much as the price of the roll. Search ebay and you will find a couple that are good deals. Some people are only selling like 3' of it, but its a 1/2" wide and you are getting it for like $4 including shipping, so not a bad deal.

You could try here, it's sold in bulk:

http://www.tapecase.com/p.712.201/3m-420-3m-lead-foil-tape.aspx

I just got some to try from zonkers that are made for weighting lures...seem to work pretty good but haven't used them enough say for sure. They are cut in little strips seems pretty convenient. Actually found some at my Walmart in the fishing section

Here is a littler tip for the lead tape seekers...

I use regular lead wire in sizes .30, .25 & .20.

Pull about a 6" peice from the spool and lay it flat on your desk.

Get yourself a round object such as a heavy duty bolt, steel rod or even an x-acto knife (minus the blade of course). I use a 1/2 inch bolt as it's heavier/dense and makes the process easier for me.

Using the smooth end of the bolt, roll the bolt over the wire while applying some downward pressure. The lead magically flattens out!! Who woulda thunk!! A little practice will turn out just what you'll need to get the job done.

You can wrap the smaller wire over the larger to give yourself a tapered and heavier underbody, but I just wrap thread to yield my desired taper.

One thing to look out for is when rolling the wire, be careful as the wire likes to follow it self.

Give it a shot.

Jim

Not a bad process; however, the lead tape seems to still have a couple advantages. One, its cheaper. Two, it has adhesive so it sticks to the hook shank. Three, you dont have to perform the task of flattening wire. If I had an excess of lead wire I would probably be doing what you do though.

I ordered the lead tape, so I will let you guys know how she goes when I get it. I ordered off amazon the tourna roll. The one company is selling it for $5.80 with free shipping.

pwk,

I don't know, $2.65 for a spool of wire that can be used a couple of ways, plus a thread dam in front and in back of the lead secures it.

You got me on the rolling process tho!

Jim

I have lead free wire and I tried your trick last night. I can report that it totally sucks to flatten the wire. However, it does flatten and makes it possible to make slimmer flies. The lead free wire is still really soft, but I bet the lead wire is softer. I will compare to the lead tape when I get it.

How much does a spool weigh? The tape is almost a pound I think for 5.80. Either way, they are both cheap

Back