Laurel Hill Creek, Somerset DHALO

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

I went to LHC today (4/24). Water was a bit high and semi-murky from the previous nights rain. Now, I know there are a ton of fish in there as the last time I was up the PBFC dumped in buckets upon buckets.

On that stocking day the water was pretty cold and I'm sure the fish went into a bit of a shock. Post stocking I saw two fish get caught and that was on spinners. I had one follow a Muddler....but no take.

That creek perplex's me as I've not caught anything in the two visits I've made. The first time I can understand it, and maybe this time it was the rain.

I tossed brown nymphs, yellow nymphs, brown stonefly's, egg patterns with a dropper olive nymph. I only fished for about 2 hours and called it a day.

I can usually get a rise or a roll....even a hit. But not nothing!!! Any suggestions?

BSC. Where the stream is the closest to the road. I'm disabled and cannot walk very far so the places that are 50 yards or more away are difficult.

If its still water i'm thinking of on the left as you come in from rt 31, you're better trying to strip buggers or streamers deeper in that stagnant water. You could wait for really warm day. I have caught larger cruising fish all the way back up through the downfallen trees (if they are still there) on dries, mostly terrestrials. Other wise, I prefer the pocketwater as it flows toward the lake.

It's not still water. The location is right past the boy scout camp (Camp Conestoga) on Buck Run Road.

From RT31 make left onto Jimtown Road-T364, Continue straight onto Conestoga Camp Rd, make right on Buck Run Rd and it's only 1/4-1/2 mile where stream is on left side of road.

Water gets hit hard as a keystone select. There are fish there but get picky after awhile. Key is moving around ( if not mobile ) , give a little time and have the water warm up a bit and wait for some bugs to make an appearance.

Little easier to fish for when they are feeding (rising).

Good luck.

Little easier to fish for when they are feeding (rising).

Good luck.

Valid point. Thank you.

yes, I know exactly where you mean. Fished it dozens of times. When its not high, its pretty flat water. Flat is a more accurate description. But i does have flow.. Akid's right. It gets pounded.

Back