Laurel Hill Creek Endangered River

JackM

JackM

Staff member
Article regarding national listing and concerns over water draws. Local TU and watershed group involved in trying to stop further damage:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_619513.html

Saw that this morning...got an email with this link too..

http://www.americanrivers.org/take-action/action-alerts/

They have been talking about those withdrawals for a couple years now...kind of nice that they were recognized on a larger scale.

Beat me to it. hehe

The real problem is if we had brain ONE there would be no need for bottled water, 50 years ago the joke in the supermarket journals was " businees is so good we could propably sell water in a bottle" HOW FRIGGIN DUMB ARE WE?? So now we use untold abounts of gasoline and plastic bottles to pay for our freakin stupidity, must be a Cheney/Haliburton/Enron/Bush joint venture

Posted this elsewhere, but this is a more appropriate locale.

This is really quite sad. The Yough and the waters that feed it are under attack from multiple fronts these days.

Many of you may have heard of the proposed "Curry Mine" that will be located on a ridge overlooking the lower Yough between Johnson and Morgan run. More amd is just what the river does not need.

You may also know that the Yough was Pennsylvania's "River of the Year" in 2008.

The Yough and its tributaries are in need of friends. If you care to offer a voice or a dollar towards its defense, a good place to start is www.mtwatershed.com.

There will be a public meeting on April 29 to allow for those who oppose the mine on the Yough to voice their concerns. There really are a lot of people who oppose this mine, but great numbers equal greater strength with things like this. Amerikohl's attorney said at the last meeting something to the effect of "We can see just how concerned the public is about this issue by taking a look around the room." There weren't many people there. Hopefully, more will show this time.

You don't have to do much, just show and say "I don't like the sounds of this" and maybe why.

10:00 AM in the Fayette County Public Works Building, 22 East Main Street, Uniontown, PA.

Hope you can show up.

I think that it is disingenuous to have a public meeting at 10 am during the work week and then comment about the lack of attendance.

The problem is that times are tough and that is a pretty depressed region....they will ultimately vote with their pocket books and side with the coal company.

The presence of the coalmine is not necessarily troubling as long as they follow BMP's and act responsibly. Having said that I have zero faith that there will not be at least one catastrophic "accident".

Whether they leave no trace or not they will use water...

Sad story indeed, however it's not new. I've been aware of this fight since the mid to late 90s'.

ryan,

I agree with you about the timing of the meeting and that a coal mine doesn't necessarily mean disaster. I realize the necessity of coal for us as a society at the moment but acknowledge the detrimental effects that every coal mine has on the environment with or without a “catastrophic” incident. I also believe that accepting the small chance of a new spill in the Yough is a bad gamble. The river is still coming back from the 93 spill, and has a hard time dealing with amd still—especially during low-water periods. Also, should certain places be sacred? Would you for instance like to see a new mine overlooking Spruce Creek or the Letort? Water does flow downhill after all. As a guy who has spent almost every one of his fishing (non-working) days on some part of the Yough for the past five years, I like to think I know how good the river actually is and how good it could be.

As for voting with their pocketbooks, I am hoping that is exactly what they do. I am in the process of writing a paper to present at the meeting that will highlight the economic disadvantages of the proposed coal mine in river towns like Ohiopyle, Connelsville, Dawson, West Newton, and Sutersville. Others are focusing on the economic benefits of the bike trail and the draw of Ohiopyle State Park. I've been looking at various trout towns across the country and our own state and tallying total income generated by angling and angling related spending. The numbers are pretty impressive. The goal, obviously, is to consider the long term rather than the short. Two years of mining will only allow a set number of paychecks. It will also almost certainly impact local economies that rely on the bike trail and the river for their livelihood. A recent poll conducted by the Presidents Commission on American Outdoors asked national and state park visitors what the two most important criterion were when enjoying the outdoors. Natural beauty and quality of view were the two most common answers. People don't want to see gaping sores in places that are supposed to be protected by the state. But I don't want to sound like some pea-brained fanatic. I don't like what we've done to the land as a culture, but I also realize the necessity of energy to the society we've built.

I'm not saying the Yough has the same draw as the Bighorn, or even the Delaware for that matter, but it is good and with more and more people interested in its health and with the state finally beginning to make the shift to policies that create destination fisheries, it will continue to get better. When you compound that with the proximity to three really great fisheries right across the border in Maryland, you get a trout destination not unlike those in other regions around the country.

That should be worth protecting.

YRG,

Great post, I just had a conversation with a few freinds about the Yough River and all the activities that it provides! Yeah, it's not the Bighorn or Big "D", but I think with the divervirsty of activities it provides it needs to be protected and improved upon! I remember when it's flow was off-color and refered to as a sh!t creek. I would like to let my kids see it as it is now or better, not orange full of carp and suckers!
As for the mine, Fayette is one of the poorest counties in the state and really don't think we have a chance to stop it. But with enough of public support and outcry, I think we can have Amerkohl looking over their shoulder and the DEP/EPA making their presence felt to prevent any accidents or sloppy mining practices.

JH

Back