Laurel Highlands streamflows and other pre trip planning

T

td566

Hi everyone.
I plan to explore the Laurel Highlands area this year and am asking for any tips on stream flow gauges and numbers you may use for pre trip planning. Mostly interested in streams other than the Yough. I see Linn Run and Loyalhanna streamflow sites. Are there others you use that may hint to conditions on the other streams?
Geez we got a lot of rain in the Pittsburgh area yesterday.
Thanks. TD

Laurel Hill Creek has a guage down close to where it enters the Yough. Pretty good indicator for what's happening on the Eastern side of Laurel Ridge.

Oh okay, thanks. Musta missed that one amongst the Yough gauges. What levels do you prefer to fish for Laurel Hill Creek?

The Laurel Hill gauge is the best indicator for the Highlands in general. For the longest time (maybe still??) american whitewater had a link to the Laurel Hill gauge for the Indian Creek gorge section. It was surprisingly accurate, which makes sense being that both creeks are of similar size and the headwaters basically abut at the top of laurel ridge.

But a good rule of thumb if you're looking at some LH blue lines; even the hardest of rains that we get, most tributaries to the named creeks drain out just hours after the rain stops. The creeks take a day or two, and the river takes about 2-days to drop to "normal" flows. And if you get there and the streams are blown out, just go higher up the mountain... that's likely what the fish do anyhow.

I live on the ridge top between camp run, pike run, and jones mills run. We had 1.77" of rain since 3:00pm yesterday and while the water was a little fast, the two of those runs I saw looked totally fishable this morning driving to work.

Great info mg, thanks for your first hand knowledge. Looking forward to fishing those streams and exploring the area more this year.

At 400 cfs, Laurel Hill Creek is kinda "cast everywhere water". 120 to 200 cfs is near dry fly perfect.

The Laurel Hill gauge is the best indicator for the Highlands in general. For the longest time (maybe still??) american whitewater had a link to the Laurel Hill gauge for the Indian Creek gorge section. It was surprisingly accurate, which makes sense being that both creeks are of similar size and the headwaters basically abut at the top of laurel ridge.

But a good rule of thumb if you're looking at some LH blue lines; even the hardest of rains that we get, most tributaries to the named creeks drain out just hours after the rain stops. The creeks take a day or two, and the river takes about 2-days to drop to "normal" flows. And if you get there and the streams are blown out, just go higher up the mountain... that's likely what the fish do anyhow.

I live on the ridge top between camp run, pike run, and jones mills run. We had 1.77" of rain since 3:00pm yesterday and while the water was a little fast, the two of those runs I saw looked totally fishable this morning driving to work.
I’ve always wanted to fish Jones Mill!

Back