Late summer green

J

JeffP

I know I posted a picture of this last year but it's even worse this year. This picture was taken on Middle Creek at Lincoln Road about 2 weeks ago. Last year some speculated it came from turnover on the Middle Creek Dam. I checked at my mom's much closer to the dam and it's not nearly as bad so I'm not sure it is only from the dam. While the creek was low it wasn't that bad. Are these algae blooms common? Does it hurt the fish? Do you see this on your local streams?Just a reminder that this is about 6-7 miles downstream from the dam with numerous springs and a couple wild trout streams feeding it. I hiked back into the upper stretch where Elders Run runs in. The water was somewhat murkier than it should be, but not real green.

Attachments

• 68445290684__4106DEA6-E842-4FE3-9C44-204234D4C4DF.jpg
    68445290684__4106DEA6-E842-4FE3-9C44-204234D4C4DF.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 100
I don't know how bad it actually is, and can't imagine how it could be good, but it certainly looks horrible.

It's hard to tell from that photo.

But my guess is that it's filamentous green algae.

Savage river has a green tint to it sometimes around this time of year.... but that is really green.

That looks like filamentous green algae likely accelerated and robust because of a high nutrient load of fertilizer.

I know I posted a picture of this last year but it's even worse this year. This picture was taken on Middle Creek at Lincoln Road about 2 weeks ago. Last year some speculated it came from turnover on the Middle Creek Dam. I checked at my mom's much closer to the dam and it's not nearly as bad so I'm not sure it is only from the dam. While the creek was low it wasn't that bad. Are these algae blooms common? Does it hurt the fish? Do you see this on your local streams?Just a reminder that this is about 6-7 miles downstream from the dam with numerous springs and a couple wild trout streams feeding it. I hiked back into the upper stretch where Elders Run runs in. The water was somewhat murkier than it should be, but not real green.
report it to the pollution number, I think they still list it on this sites home page. IT's not right or good when the algae dies it causes chemistry problems related to oxygen and CO2 levels in streams.

I should have. It's better now. There are lots of farms along there so I wonder if it was some kind of spill. Last two years it happened at the same time. Hmm.

Back