Late Stocking

J

JeffP

So my neighbor just informed me that the local sportsman's club is stocking a creek in Lancaster County. Are they insane? This section is not stocked by the Fish Commission and had a decent population of Native Browns and Brookies. Last week they stocked another County stream on an 88 degree day after a string of upper 80 degree days. He assured me they were stocking them in the deeper holes. This stretch is unstocked but can hold some fish over with a few scattered wild browns. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
"Sportsman's" club in this case is an oxymoron. I'm sure it happens a lot across the state.

It happens all over and the guys who support the clubs often can't be reasoned with. And, they'll typically rationalize by claiming that they're doing it "for the kids". I couldn't care less if they want to go to the effort and expense of raising trout only to release them and have them die, but I'll be damned if I want to see them damage what's already a decent fishery in many areas.

So my neighbor just informed me that the local sportsman's club is stocking a creek in Lancaster County. Are they insane? This section is not stocked by the Fish Commission and had a decent population of Native Browns and Brookies. Last week they stocked another County stream on an 88 degree day after a string of upper 80 degree days. He assured me they were stocking them in the deeper holes. This stretch is unstocked but can hold some fish over with a few scattered wild browns. Am I missing something?
If it holds a few scattered browns, the stream temps are more than likely ok right now for a stocking. Those trout are meant for put and take in an otherwise marginal fishery. It’s the exact place trout need to be stocked. There are very few if any redeemable trout streams left in Lancaster county. Stocking isn’t the issue, it’s farming and development.

I can't speak to this situation but one of the "fish & game" clubs I belong to raises trout for local stockings.

This time of year, the holding ponds get cleaned out and the remaining fish get stocked where they feel there will be the highest usage.

I'll leave the impact studies on very late stockings in streams with marginal wild fish populations to the experts...

Let me know where they’re at. I mean, I suspect I know, but feel free to confirm. Happy to have a little late season Stocker Bonker session. Up to my limit of course.

I can't speak to this situation but one of the "fish & game" clubs I belong to raises trout for local stockings.

This time of year, the holding ponds get cleaned out and the remaining fish get stocked where they feel there will be the highest usage.

I'll leave the impact studies on very late stockings in streams with marginal wild fish populations to the experts...
Jeff holds his northern Lancaster county streams near and dear. I can appreciate that since they are right out of his back door. As a Lancaster county resident of more than 30 years I can safely say that these streams will not become what he hopes them to be in our lifetime. It’s been talked about a lot by Sasquatch and salveniusfontanlis over the years and the problems start in the headwaters. I would say almost irreversible damage from farming and land practices. If we were talking about anywhere else I would say leave the marginal waters alone.

I guess my main point was the late stocking on borderline 90 degree days. Middle Creek gets 1 in-season stocking and it's often very soon after opening day. Both Hammer and Middle are stocked in fewer and fewer places. Why not stock earlier and spread them out a bit.

Jeff holds his northern Lancaster county streams near and dear. I can appreciate that since they are right out of his back door. As a Lancaster county resident of more than 30 years I can safely say that these streams will not become what he hopes them to be in our lifetime. It’s been talked about a lot by Sasquatch and salveniusfontanlis over the years and the problems start in the headwaters. I would say almost irreversible damage from farming and land practices. If we were talking about anywhere else I would say leave the marginal waters alone.
The biggest problem for Middle Creek is the lake. It is largely wooded until you hit Fox's Meadow. The meadow from Mount Airy Road until Fox's has really grown in over the years. At Fox's you get Segloch and Furnace Run and 5 plus fairly significant springs and then a couple short stretches that have some erosion issue and problems with cows bit still either mostly wooded or nicely rock-lined with numerous huge sycamores. The stocking by the sportsman's club does help keep some trout in the lower section throughout the year. It would be nice to have a couple large scale farms close to the stream removed.

Lower Hammer is super degraded but already trashed by Speedwell. This stocking I mentioned is in the county park. No state stocking but 2 sportsmen's clubs I believe. I have seen decent hatches and caught decent numbers of wild browns and brookies there. I know we've been through this before! :)

Last edited:
If it holds a few scattered browns, the stream temps are more than likely ok right now for a stocking. Those trout are meant for put and take in an otherwise marginal fishery. It’s the exact place trout need to be stocked. There are very few if any redeemable trout streams left in Lancaster county. Stocking isn’t the issue, it’s farming and development.
Speaking of development, Lititz Run watershed is a disaster. Sad to think of all the work put in, only to have huge retirement homes and hundreds of new homes put in the little remaining open space in the watershed.

Jeff,

I figured you meant the county park on hammer creek. It does have plenty of cold water in that area due to tribe and springs. It’s generally limited due to the land use directly above the county park section. It’s and open cow pasture until you get to the turnpike bridge. Even Hammer on pumping station rd is severely limited by the farming practices in Lebanon county. It’s like the tail of 2 streams. One section is unrecognizable from the next. As far as middle creek, it would be a lot better if segloch didn’t have severe erosion problems. All it does for middle creek after it runs through the Christmas tree and pig farm is add tons of sediment.

If your main concern is the water temps at the park, I really think you are ok. Go up there and take a temp above the big slow pool by the bridge. I seriously doubt it gets above 70 in the hottest part of the day.

It happens all over and the guys who support the clubs often can't be reasoned with. And, they'll typically rationalize by claiming that they're doing it "for the kids". I couldn't care less if they want to go to the effort and expense of raising trout only to release them and have them die, but I'll be damned if I want to see them damage what's already a decent fishery in many areas.
Yes i can coccur. Its always about the kids lol lol lol ......then you see the older guys pounding the creek next few days..... for the kids........ yes there fishing in place for the kids..... who are supposed to be fishing for the fish that were stocked for them lol lol

Last edited:
Purely from a temperature standpoint, I would speculate that Hammer in the location specified is better than Middle Ck. Without considering wild trout, late stockings are usually only justified if a stream stays cold for an extended period into the summer and if angler use is expected to be good (not just a few individuals) for an extended period.

Purely from a temperature standpoint, I would speculate that Hammer in the location specified is better than Middle Ck.
You are probably right but I bet it's close. I have to admit I never temped that stretch. Highest I got on lower Middle was 78. Not saying that's the highest it gets. Maybe I'll temp them tomorrow.

I don’t think that cooler days will necessarily give you the answer that you seek. If you have time and the inclination, compare the streams on Friday between 4-6 PM after two days of 90 deg heat.

The world is full of dumb-asses. Sometimes, too often, they coagulate into an especially noxious form. Sportman's clubs are just one of them.

Back