Late Fall into Winter dry fly fishing

Fishnmusicn

Fishnmusicn

I'll be honest, it seems that the only fly fishing I have patience for anymore is terrestrial fishing, and one I want to try again with the colder weather, fishing small dry flies in the colder water. I'm spinning most of the time, I don't use bait or spinners - small jerk baits with pinched down barbs and single hooks. I've done well, but the last 2 trips the trout were not in a chasing mood, and I'm starting to see steady risers in pools I've marked. I used to do well on a Griffiths Gnat size 20 some years back, and wonder what other flies may be hatching besides midges that I might imitate. It's time to get back to a more relaxed type of fishing for me with the flyrod. Anyone enjoy this colder weather type of fly fishing?

I fished a freestone stream for about 20 minutes yesterday and took a small brown on a Renegade fished dry, and missed several more. (I was avoiding casting to larger fish, because they were busy on their redds.)

I'm pretty sure that I've caught fish on dries in every month of the year.

If it encourages you any, I have caught fish on beetles in the dead of winter...
Interesting.
I've never caught anything on beetles once cold weather sets in - usually early November.

Although I did well on them the first week of this month.
The fish were midging, but they took small - #18 and #20 - Crowe beetles for me
The weather was unusually warm, though

What size beetles do you use when its cold?

A couple general winter questions (not applicable to only dry flies, but I don't think a new thread is needed):

1) Are you taking temps on streams? Is below 40 just a signal to leave, or will you still give it an attempt?

2) With dries, are you targeting rising fish or prospecting blind or both?

2) Everyone talks about brown trout spawning, but what is the timeframe for brook trout spawning? Is there a general window to consider a moratorium, or are brook trout redds less of a concern because we're generally not wading much in small brook trout streams? (I know that it's dangerous to utter "brook trout" around here, but my winter fishing is generally on smaller, more temperature-moderated brook trout streams).

1) Yes, but only to work on strategy. My schedule demands that I fish when I have free time, not only when fishing is good. A single number is not enough. Stability is important to trout and a consistent pattern for three days helps. Gets them into regular habits, which in the winter often means feeding in mid or late afternoon when the water is warmest. As the temperatures get colder trout feed less and the windows are shorter. Falling temperatures slow down fish even if it is 48 to 45F. Rising temperatures can turn fish on. One of my best winter days was at 37F after being at 35F for a week cold spell. Sunny days see greater warming over the day sometimes 10F; cloudy days have more constant temperature. Look for springs that warm the water and measure how far down the effect lasts (can also look for spots where ice doesn't form on shoreline or water steams on the coldest days. One number doesn't tell the whole story.

2) Only targeting rising fish in winter. They conserve energy and wouldn't be looking up if nothing is happening. Maybe blind cast in a spot artificially crowded with trout like the kiddy pool at the Little Lehigh, but generally wait for risers even there.

3) see why you wouldn't go there. October to December depending on stream, weather patterns etc. Not wading so wouldn't crush redds and spawning fish more often have sex on the brain rather than feeding. Sometimes I have seen breeding males with hooked jaws being aggressive and grabbing everything in sight. I would say be careful and don't be greedy - catch a fish or two to enjoy the day and go home. No need to crush the fish if they are aggressive. Normally I think you pick up the non-breeders waiting for the egg "hatch".

A couple general winter questions (not applicable to only dry flies, but I don't think a new thread is needed):

1) Are you taking temps on streams? Is below 40 just a signal to leave, or will you still give it an attempt?

2) Everyone talks about brown trout spawning, but what is the timeframe for brook trout spawning? Is there a general window to consider a moratorium, or are brook trout redds less of a concern because we're generally not wading much in small brook trout streams? (I know that it's dangerous to utter "brook trout" around here, but my winter fishing is generally on smaller, more temperature-moderated brook trout streams).
1) I may glance at the temperature before I go if the USGS site has it, but below 40 doesn't stop me from going.

2) I would never tie on a dry in mid winter if I didn't see rising fish. At this time of the year, though, it's sufficient just to see insect activity. (I saw some ants in the parking lot yesterday, for instance.)

3) Brook trout spawn at roughly the same time as brown trout. Exactly when that is will vary slightly from stream to stream. You can fish, but don't target spawning fish and be careful where you wade -- it's usually safe to wade in leaf litter, for example. That advice goes until the eggs have hatched, usually in late February. The redds are harder to spot once active spawning is over, so you should be even more careful in January and February.

Interesting.
I've never caught anything on beetles once cold weather sets in - usually early November.

Although I did well on them the first week of this month.
The fish were midging, but they took small - #18 and #20 - Crowe beetles for me
The weather was unusually warm, though

What size beetles do you use when its cold?
I have a theory on beetles which ties into my terrestrial "chow line" concept...

Because I have never witnessed anything like the massive "hatch-like" infestations of Japanese Beetles documented by Fox & Marinaro in their books; I believe beetles represent an opportunistic meal that a adventurous fish grabs because there probably won't be a second one floating by.

For that reason I tie one variety of beetle (foam) and all of them are the same size, in my case tied on a size 16 hook. That size hook gives me enough shank for the size body I "think" is correct, it has a wide enough gape to be unaffected by the bulky body I tie underneath the foam and it makes a nice "splat.

Whether my theory is correct or not, I have never found a need to tie different sizes.

Like a chow line, no trout I am tempting is getting a bunch of size choices in these situations. If they don't like my "one-size-fits-all" beetle, I'll try a completely different one-size-fits-all terrestrial until I come up an excuse that explains my failure on something other than my stubbornness...

...or I find a dumber & hungrier fish... ;)

In my case, I am typically fishing nymphs exclusively all winter long because I do much better with them and I like not having to fuss with dry flies (drying out, redressing) when it is freezing cold...

...that why I'll use a foam beetle if I see an opportunity because there is no need for drying it out between fish or using a floatant.

You can catch wild browns / native brooks on dry flies all 12 months in the year. I've caught both on royal wulfs in Jan/Feb before. No rises were spotted, I simply blind casted in likely holding areas and the fish rose. I'm sure this took place during a warming trend when the water temp increased a few degrees throughout the day. I wouldn't tie on a dry fly in Jan/Feb in weather below 35F (ish). I use Jan/Feb as an example as they're typically the coldest months where I fish.

If you want to catch more fish and have a higher percentage of actually catching fish in the dead of winter, use anything but dries but do know; it's possible. I don't believe I've ever caught a stocked trout in dead of winter on a dry fly.

I fish and do well in water temps below 40, I wouldn't let that stop you. That being said finding a place where the water is a little warmer, say 35 vs 33 definitely leads to more fish imo.

I fish and do well in water temps below 40, I wouldn't let that stop you. That being said finding a place where the water is a little warmer, say 35 vs 33 definitely leads to more fish imo.
Agreed - and on sunny days, that sometimes means shallow water. I catch a lot more fish in less than a foot of water in the winter than I do in summer.

You can find fish eating on top all year long in PA. My brother has made it a goal to catch a fish on top every month and has done it several years now. Most are eating midges in winter months and that only happens on certain streams and in certain places. One thing to watch out for is keeping fish out of water when air temp is below freezing. You can kill them by freezing skin and gills.

You can find fish eating on top all year long in PA. My brother has made it a goal to catch a fish on top every month and has done it several years now. Most are eating midges in winter months and that only happens on certain streams and in certain places. One thing to watch out for is keeping fish out of water when air temp is below freezing. You can kill them by freezing skin and gills.
I generally don't fish in winter.
But would guess that the best chance for finding risers is on limestone streams, or tailwaters.
Places with more moderate water temps

Back