Last Minute Trip - Where to go?

JWsmalls

JWsmalls

I'm trying to plan a last minute fishing trip for the weekend and dodge some of the Pope madness in Philly this weekend. I'm trying to stay within 3 hours of Philly. Would State College be my best bet?

Possibly but Penn State has a home game this weekend.

You should be ok in Centre County as long as you stay away from directly around State College. Had my best day ever on a stream in the area Friday afternoon before the Buffalo game. Did not see another angler the whole time.

Plan on joining the throngs massing to State College on the highways, unless you leave Friday morning or travel late night.

Thanks! I may need to burn a vacation day and go a little farther out :)

Another option would be Harrisburg/Carlisle area, even less travel, or the Poconos.

Thanks Jack!

I just posted a new thread in Locations regarding the Ausable. Have you guys ever fished it? If so, do you think it would be worth making the drive up from Philly? From what I've gathered from the stream reports, the West branch is fishing pretty good right now.

The Ausable River is probably more than 5 hours away probably 6. But the Delaware is only 3 hour hours and is as far away from the Pope madness as you can get from Philly and have great fishing. Fall caddis will be hatching.

Thanks Chaz! Any insight on where a good starting point would be on the Delaware? I'm pretty new to the area.

The Susquehanna River is fishing well this summer and is at low, wadeable levels (lots of recent reports and info in the Stream Reports section).

Back