Larrys Creek.

M

maxima12

rt. 220, rt. 287 junction. Interesting stream. Small stream, so standing in the same pool has little effect and a waste of time! You need to walk and fish while on the hunt for rising trout. Lots of miles of stream.

Let us concentrate on one area. Lowest portion, where Larrys Creek dumps into river. Find a place to park and work your way upstream from rt. 220. Where did these trout come from?

Do not expect to catch a lot. The few you do catch, will remind you, "what a nice fish". I guess landing 2, missing a couple and one or two breakoffs is a good day. The breakoffs will be the reason you want to go back and fish again!

You do not hear much about this stream and the lowest portion, well, who would have thought.

Maxima12

Good rule of thumb for Trout fishing in PA...

Streams that are named simply by a man's first name are good.

Streams that have "Laurel" or "Trout" in their name, are not.

Test me on that one.

Was thinking about asking maxi if he knows who the stream was named after.
Even though I've never fished it, I've read some pretty good things about it.

Only stream I can recall fishing with a man's name, is Bob's creek in Bedford county. It's OK. Nothing great IMO

I'd question Swatties assertions about Laurel or Trout runs, though.
I've fished a Trout run in Clinton county - trib of Kettle creek - that's pretty nice.

And every county in the state probably has at least 1 Trout or Laurel run.
So likely a few more good ones out there

Funny how different streams treat different anglers well, and others poorly. Conditions matter more than anything else, bottom line. I’ve fished that Trout Run (Kettle trib) twice, and was skunked twice. I’m sure it has fish though. I’ve gone elsewhere when up that way ever since the second skunking. There’s a couple more Trout Runs I still want to check out, but thus far they’ve all been “one and done’s” for me.

I’ve probably fished half a dozen or more Laurel runs. Probably the most common name for a stream in PA. All but one, not going to say which publicly, have been complete duds. The one was really good though.

Both Larry and Bob IMO can be hospitable hosts if you hit them right conditions wise. Or pretty stingy on portions if you don’t. Tom, Ben, Martin, and Adam, though I haven’t met them personally, I’ve heard good things about them. Brad showed me a few nice things during a brief stay there, that may entice me to go back. Michael is well known to be good, but he’s pretty private about who he lets fish him. Jordan is very popular with retired fisheries biologists, so he must be pretty decent.

Yeah, for sure
I should add that's it's been quite a while since I've fished the Clinton county Trout run.

Another one that I've always wanted to try, but have never done so yet - is the Trout run that runs into Big Pine creek, upstream of Cedar run.
It's on the opposite side of the big creek from the road - and pretty hard to get to

Yeah...That’s on the list to try. The recon I have on it is it’s a dud, but given how hard it is to get to, I’m gonna have to learn for myself. It’s appetizing on the maps for sure though.

Swattie87 wrote:
Funny how different streams treat different anglers well, and others poorly. Conditions matter more than anything else, bottom line. I’ve fished that Trout Run (Kettle trib) twice, and was skunked twice. I’m sure it has fish though. I’ve gone elsewhere when up that way ever since the second skunking. There’s a couple more Trout Runs I still want to check out, but thus far they’ve all been “one and done’s” for me.

I’ve probably fished half a dozen or more Laurel runs. Probably the most common name for a stream in PA. All but one, not going to say which publicly, have been complete duds. The one was really good though.

There are 63 Laurel Runs in PA.

They can't all be bad.

troutbert wrote:

There are 63 Laurel Runs in PA.

They can't all be bad.

I’m 1 for 6 or 7 roughly.

There is a road to Trout Run Clinton County off of rt. 44, Old Coudersport Pike.

?. How about the Trout Run that runs along Rt. 15, from Steam Valley, Turkey Ranch Resturant to the town of Trout Run Pa. Fished it a long time ago. Fished Trout Run Clinton County also.

Laurel Run in the town of Picture Rocks. Seems I fish it a couple times a year.

Good times fishing the runs.

I once fished a Laurel Run that had beautiful Brook Trout. I caught one after another and eventually just stopped even though there were more nice pools ahead. because I caught so many.

My theory about streams with the name trout was that they were aptly named at the time for an abundance native brook trout. As is the case with a lot of these streams, deforestation wrecked those streams to the point where they may never be the same again.

Back