Larger class A

P

Paul6.5

Hi, I know this can be a "delicate" question here.

I took Friday off to fish and really would like to go somewhere new to me. I am looking for a somewhat larger lesser known class A stream to fish no more than 2 hours from Chester county.

My typical lesser known Class As are Northkill, Rambling run, Six penny, Hay creek, so something a little larger than these. Avoiding the big names like Big Springs and Letort.

I am not looking for a super secret spot just something I may be overlooking. Thanks for any suggestions.

The Bushkill Creek upstream from Easton in the special reg area and surrounding sections would be what I would call a larger Class A in comparison to those you described from my former AFM region, Area 6. Bushkill is in Area 5 as is another even larger Class A…Pohopoco Ck. Check the Class A list to see which Bushkill sections are Class A. Frankly, some of the habitat just downstream from the special reg area intrigued me more than that of the special reg area. Both streams are worth fishing, so I don’t think you could necessarily go wrong, but if it were me I’d save Bushkill for another trip and go to Pohopoco even though I only live 20-30 min from Bushkill and 40-45 min from Pohopoco. I’ve never fished either, but have electrofished both 2-3 times. One last thing, the largest browns in Bushkill that we electrofished were not in the special reg area, but the special reg area is a nice stretch with some good habitat. Where most anglers seem to fish Pohopoco, at least in late summer, the attraction is probably abundance rather than size (Beltsville dam downstream for about 400 yds or so). I can’t speak to angler activity at this time of the year.

Last edited:
It doesn't really give me the size of the stream (at least not what I can s
Pick one and go for it. Have a couple back up plans and have fun!

Switch over to satellite view or compare on google maps. In my experience, class A streams don’t always equal a class A fishing experience. Good luck!
What HopBack says is true. Often times, a natural reproduction stream fishes much better than a "Class A." Of course, sometimes certain Class A streams are unbelievable, but don't get tunnel vision thinking I must fish Class A water and only Class A water, or that Class A is the only water worth fishing.

FALSE!

The Bushkill Creek upstream from Easton in the special reg area and surrounding sections would be what I would call a larger Class A in comparison to those you described from my former AFM region, Area 6. Bushkill is in Area 5 as is another even larger Class A…Pohopoco Ck. Check the Class A list to see which Bushkill sections are Class A. Frankly, some of the habitat just downstream from the special reg area intrigued me more than that of the special reg area. Both streams are worth fishing, so I don’t think you could necessarily go wrong, but if it were me I’d save Bushkill for another trip and go to Pohopoco even though I only live 20-30 min from Bushkill and 40-45 min from Pohopoco. I’ve never fished either, but have electrofished both 2-3 times. One last thing, the largest browns in Bushkill that we electrofished were not in the special reg area, but the special reg area is a nice stretch with some good habitat. Where most anglers seem to fish Pohopoco, at least in late summer, the attraction is probably abundance rather than size (Beltsville dam downstream for about 400 yds or so). I can’t speak to angler activity at this time of the year.
2nd Mike's report. Fished both. Caught more larger fish in the Bushkill. They can be spread throughout the system. Took mostly 8-10 inches in the Pohopoco. Both decent size streams.

Back