lanyard

C

Canoetripper

I just got my new Lanyard from Orvis and will customize it to what little I need, which is adding the Orvis knot tying tool and some other zingers.

I have finally figured out how this tool works and love it. All I need it to do is the two surgeons knots and the new and improved clinch knot. I
now know how to tie the double davey knot without a tool, which saves me tippet since I am an expert at finding something to snag on my back casts just as well as what is on the bottom that I can't see.

I am improving at fly fishing. Getting better is part of the process. My most realistic goal is to just not put knots in my leader while I am improving my casting. I will get there sooner rather than later. I am always focused.

How many of you have also adjusted to the lanyard when you don't need a vest? I don't need another layer of clothing in this weather. I will be wet wading this weekend and the lanyard doesn't require time to dry out like a cotton vest if/when I fall in.

The Tobyhanna Creek is not an easy place to wade even with my two wading staffs.

I always fish with a lanyard. Most times I just shove a couple fly boxes in my pockets. When it's hot I use a waist pack and a lanyard. The pack is more to carry a couple bottles of water and a snack along with a few fly boxes. I find there is absolutely no good reason to carry a small fly shop around when I know i'm only going to fish a handful of patterns at most. Even during my vest wearing days many many years ago I carried very few things so there really was no transition.

I would reccomend not carrying a lot on the lanyard unless you like sore necks or the sensation of things digging into the back of your neck. I use a convertible lanyard so Most times I don't even wear it around my neck, preferring to wear the "lanyard" on my wader straps.

I hate going back to the car. Therefore, I carry a small fly shop over my shoulders and on my chest. And occasionally, a convenience store.

JackM wrote:
I hate going back to the car. Therefore, I carry a small fly shop over my shoulders and on my chest. And occasionally, a convenience store.
I agree. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have. I wear a vest.

Started using a homemade lanyard last year with nippers, forceps, floatant and spools of tippet attached. For summertime fishing I put a couple fly boxes, thermometer and hook sharpener in my shirt pockets. A waist belt that has a small pocket for a granola bar and holder for bottle of water.

That said, I would like to try to use a lanyard. As it is, I have to memorize the locations of everything I need frequently, such as 9X tippet, favorite flies, split-shot, floatant, water, and Kleenex.

I must confess to a small amount of TP, which I have never used, but may have to use in the future.

I carry extra leaders, duct tape, antibiotic ointment and gauze, among other things. I hate going back to the car.

I'll send you a convertible one if you like. I make my own and I have an extra one.

JackM wrote:

I think I've fished with your brother or your cousin a time or two!

I swear one guy I know could change a transmission under the truck with everything that he carries with him!

I bought a Goertzen lanyard thinking it the ticket for fishing small mountain streams. I gave it a year, but found I was still carrying too much stuff. I now carry the essentials (matchbox full of #14 Royal Wulffs, 4X tippet, spare tapered leader, tin of Mucilin, nipper and hemostats). Everything except the Mucilin and hemostats fit in an Altoids tin.

I carry so much stuff fishing I eventually said the hell with it and bought a boat to carry it all. But some streams are too small for the boat so I took the vest, and dang if what I needed wasn’t in the boat.
So I had to buy two of everything.
So where do I get two of these lanyards?

My ex BF made one for me long before I even got into fly fishing, subtle hint eh? I didn't use it much at first, but now it's a constant companion on boat trips and when I'm fishing small pockets on a hike where the focus is more on the hike and not the fishing. I find this is easier in summer when I'm fishing terrestrials, poppers, and basic streamers versus fall/spring where I'm fishing for trout. I definitely recommend having one around, it's handy to hold nippers and forceps if nothing else.

Back