Lannd management suggestions

ian_brown

ian_brown

I would like to solicit advice on managing the trout stream that runs across my family’s property. On our property the stream is an Approved Trout Water, upstream it is a Class A Wild Trout Stream. The stream is stocked from a bridge about 150 yards upstream from where our property begins, and this open to the public (I don’t know if it is owned by the local rod and gun club or the state). We have had our property posted along the road for years, but not along the stream. When people walk downstream from the stocking area they have no indication that they are fishing private property.

Here is the dilemma: I would like to let people continue to fish the stream, but I also want to improve the wild trout population. My current thought is that I couldd post put a sign on the stream requesting that people practice catch and release while on our property. One person I spoke with suggested that the fish and game commission might stop stocking if I did this. Also, having people catch all the stockies on opening day might be the best thing for the wild trout.

One other thing: I am particularly reluctant to close access to the stream because we haven’t had problems with litter or bad behavior. I really like looking out of the window in the morning and seeeing a dad teaching his son how to fish.

I've seen several places where landowners put up signs like that, and it seemed to be working out fine. So that seems like a good option. The PFBC might stop stocking, but since there are wild trout there, Class A just upstream, that wouldn't be a problem.

With the end in stocking and your sign about catch-and-release, you should see an improvement in the trout population. The numbers of fishermen will probably drop off, but there will still be people who appreciate that type of fishing. If it's posted along the road, though, I think most people would assume that you can't fish there. That's what I would assume. The PFBC has signs reading "Fishing Permitted, Walk-In Only" and you might consider those, if it's appropriate for your situation.
Many thanks for allowing people to fish on your property. I hope everything works out for you.

Try stewardship practices and encourage your neighbors do the same. Plant the buffer with native trees and shrubs, and try have the buffer be at least 50 ft wide. Do not cut anything except invasive aliens species. Mimic the buffer in the Class A section. Anything less causes losses in wild trout populations.

Thanks for the suggestions. The stream is lined with mature trees, and the buffer is at least 50' in most places. I will definately put up catch and release signs, although I'm undecided about limiting fishing to fly fishing only.

I've had two other thoughts. First, I'd like to try stalking brown trout fingerlings in our section if that would improve the population and wouldd not violate any laws. Second, if possible I would like to try to create better cover for the fish.

I assume the first step in all of this would be talking to the PFBC. Does anyone know who I should talk to in Berks County?

Ian,

If there are wild trout there already and I assume there are being that close to the Class A section, I would put up the Catch and Release signs. Something like.

Catch & Release
Fishing Permitted
Through the courtesy
of landowner.

I wouldn't suggest putting fingerlings in. Simply not killing the trout will cause there to me more trout. And provided there is adequate habitat trout will move inand stay there. Stocking over wild fish is a waste unless you plan to harvest them.

I would focus more on the habitat. You may want to contact the local TU to get an assessment of the habitat int he stream on your property. Or visually compare it to the that in the class A, Is there more or less habitat. Woody debris, Undercuts, rootwads, etc. If you employ some habitat improvement, the trout will show up without stocking. It will only take 1 year. The stocked trout below and above that are not harvested will migrate to the better habitat areas and stay till they get harvested or die of incidental mortality. (over-winter, predation, angler use, etc)

The TU chapter and/or F&BC habitat improvement division can create an adopt -a -stream program on your property, Design by F&BC, sponsored by the TU or by you personally (if you want to take on the due-diligence of the projects. They may include some passive structure improvements like log vanes or root wads and rock deflectors that can create depth and cover to hold trout.

The only rub is that maybe the F&BC would discontinue stocking above youin the club area that is open but I don't think they would and frankly I would not care.

Sounds like a nice jesture...we are lucky to have landowners like yourself to allow fishing, C&R or not. Thats your choice.

Maurice

Back