Landlocked Salmon - Grand Lake Stream vs. Connecticut River

JimKennedy

JimKennedy

I'm focused these days for the opportunity to catch an Atlantic salmon in a river, but I'm not a multi-millionaire. I figure my best shots are:
  • Grand Lake Stream in Maine, which has been fly only since like 1901. It looks like a good option, but I'm focused on going up around Fathers Day (mid June) and it looks like prime time is May and late September.
  • Connecticut River in way up New Hampshire around Pittsburg.
Does anyone her have any experience on either of these streams? Please post your thoughts.

I don’t have any experience with landlocks in Maine . I do fish for them in Pittsburg, as well as in my own back yard of northern Vermont on the Clyde river. The salmon fishing is all about timing and water flows . Spring can be good if we have the flow from snow melt or rain . They will chase smelt as they run up river to spawn . This run of salmon can be short and hard to time depending on flows and temps. I myself prefer fishing for them in the fall During there spawning run as they are usually fatter by then and the run timing seems more predictable. Here in Vermont and Pittsburg I will start fishing for them around mid September. Depending on flows and water temp I have found this is about when they start to show up . As far as Pittsburg one could camp at lake Francis state park . There is a hiking trail from the campground to the trophy section upper Connecticut River where it dumps into lake Francis . Plus one is within a short drive to the first Connecticut lake where the river feeds into that. For spring and fall I use streamers , egg patterns, and size 14 bead head pheasant tail ( my #1 go to fly for them ) Tall timber lodge in Pittsburg has a good blog for stream reports , also one could check out soft hackle Al he has a Facebook page with great reports for Pittsburg. If one is interested in fishing the Clyde River in the North East Kingdom of Vermont , I would be more than happy to show them around the river and keep them updated on flows and temps . One could make an epic trip also as Pittsburg is a little over an hour from the Clyde, and not far from rangley Maine also. Just remember that catching these beautiful fish becomes highly addictive. I say it is like catching a tiger by its tail.

Hi, Jim. I’m the opposite of VTsalmon, having only fished for landlocks in Maine (though several place VTS mentioned are on my list). Like VTS says, whether the salmon are in the stream depends on water flow, temperatures, whether the smelt are running, etc. I’ve done OK fishing for salmon in June in GLS. I absolutely agree that landlocked fishing (and especially catching) is hugely addictive. Nearly every one I’ve ever caught has jumped immediately and often. There’s nothing like having a 20” salmon jump 6 or 7 times as you giggle like a school girl!

I'd recommend Grand Lake Stream if you’re going to fish in Maine. It's a quaint little "town" (really only one store and a fish hatchery in the center of camps). The paved road literally ends at GLS, and the gravel roads begin. Grand Lake stream itself runs about two or three miles between West Grand Lake and Big Lake. It has runs, shallow pools, deep pools, riffles and glides. It can offer great dry fly fishing, or it can be all sub-surface on nymphs, streamers or eggs. The stream is crystal clear (gin clear, as they say) and beautiful. If you have any wading limitations at all, GLS is much more gentle and less intimidating than the Penobscot or the East Outlet. The stream has been fly fishing only since 1903, and the locals make sure anybody "from away" abides by the rules and keeps it clean. I've never run into anybody of less than upstanding character while fishing or in "town".

Landlocked salmon either drop down into the stream from West Grand Lake or migrate up from Big Lake in the spring and again in the fall. Fishing might be a little bit easier in the spring, but many say the larger salmon are caught in the fall (I agree). There are numerous lodges you can stay at within the area, as GLS has the highest concentration of registered guides in the state of Maine. My wife and I always stay at Canal Side Cabins. Rates are $45 per person/night, but you supply all of your own food and do the cooking. The cabins are "rustic", but have all of the modern conveniences... just don't expect Hilton-like rooms. John and Mary are the owners and are very welcoming and want you to enjoy your stay. John is a Master Guide, but I've never hired a guide in GLS. A decent fly fisher should be fine fishing the stream and catching the landlocks. I'm from outside of Philadelphia in southeast PA, so pretty much any stream in Maine is like heaven compared to most streams in my immediate area. West Grand Lake is a landlocked salmon, smallmouth bass and lake trout (togue) lake. My wife and I have done really well on Big Lake for smallmouth out of our kayaks.

BTW, there are some brookies in GLS as well, but I catch more salmon than trout there. Grand Lake Stream stays open until October 20th, when many other streams in Maine are already closed. I don't hunt, but I have seen and spoken with moose, bear, and grouse (partridge in Maine) hunters in the Pine Tree Shop and at the lodge. My wife likes to "moose" (drive slowly on the gravel roads outside of town looking for moose) while I fish. She and I have seen lots of moose around GLS. We've also seen a good amount of grouse (partridge) on the gravel roads. It's just a beautiful area to experience at least once.

Ive fished Connecticut river in Pittsburg NH a few years ago. Was an amazing tailwater. Days long fishing to go from the lake all the way to the spillway. Browns, brooks, bows, landlocks.

I guess I'll have to try both. Thank you, brother anglers, for the detailed information.

Rangely Lakes is a classic area for them as well. I have fished the Kennebago R in September staying in Grant's Camp on Kennebago Lk. It is one of the classic Maine fish camps and seems reasonable for what you get - a cabin with it's own Rangely boat and three good meals. The lake and the nearby river is private so no real crowds. The river above the lake is closed to fishing in the fall because the brookies spawn there. However, it is cool to watch dozens of monster brookies in the spawning area.

The Merrymeeting River In New Hampshire has a run about April 1st.

GG

finger lakes have landlocks in streams and lakes. I fish them all the time

I don’t have much experience or info to pass along other than the landlocks migrate. In the one time I fished for them an old timer gave me great advice - it was early spring for Maine and where I was fishing (a famous hole on West Branch of Penobscot) was too high up the system. I moved down 8 miles or so closer to lake and witnessed landlocks surface feeding and was able to land several. That anglers advice made the trip a success.

A different part of the trip (like folks mentioned above) I stayed at Bradford Camp. It was awesome. Someday I’d like to take my wife there. It’s like stepping back in time with the old impeccably maintained cabins and family style meals. Making a fire in stove at night and sitting on the porch watching the lake in the absolute quiet was very refreshing. Nothing to do but fish, canoe, read and relax. It’s $300-$400 a day but you get all your meals and use of boats. I’d recommend taking a sightseeing flight it was $70. Very special once in a lifetime stuff.

Last edited:
Back