Lancaster Co. Brookie Stream Temps

Begbie

Begbie

Hi All,

I'll be in Lancaster over the coming weekend and was wondering what the general temps are for the area brookie streams. I suspect too warm, but wanted to see if there's a chance that they're cool enough.

Maybe by the weekend temps would cool enough but even so I would expect terrible fishing unless we get another big shot of water prior to the weekend. You would probably have a better time fishing the susky for bass.

the temp you want to limit yourself fishing for brook trout at to not cause excess mortality on brook trout is 64 degrees due to research showing increased blood cortisol and migration to refuge at that level. The handful of brook trout streams I am aware of in Lancaster county are not going to support that temp. Also if it is 64 in the AM and you catch that fish it will have ti deal with the additional stress from being caught when midday temps hit 68-70 post release. My advise would be to just fo to Big spring in newville for brookies or go to litiz run for wild invasive brown trout and rainbows that you can fish for up to 67 degrees. If you really want a small stream brook trout experience your best bet is going to be second half of September if there is water and temps improve. Brook trout generally don’t start spawning in September. There are many people on here finding lower temps in brook trout streams but their deff outside of lancaster county and are often hemlock lined with excellent canopy thermal protect and coller at higher elevation than lancaster creeks.

I temped a local lanco county brook trout stream thats one of the colder one’s usually and it was 70 at 4pm so yea as hop back said fishing will be horrible for brook too. I’d hit fallmouth boat launch on susky or lower chiques for small mouth or take a yak on the susky. White flies might be creating a nice hatch by you there where you can catch smallies on size 10 mayfly dunnpatterns

the temp you want to limit yourself fishing for brook trout at to not cause excess mortality on brook trout is 64 degrees due to research showing increased blood cortisol and migration to refuge at that level. The handful of brook trout streams I am aware of in Lancaster county are not going to support that temp. Also if it is 64 in the AM and you catch that fish it will have ti deal with the additional stress from being caught when midday temps hit 68-70 post release. My advise would be to just fo to Big spring in newville for brookies or go to litiz run for wild invasive brown trout and rainbows that you can fish for up to 67 degrees. If you really want a small stream brook trout experience your best bet is going to be second half of September if there is water and temps improve. Brook trout generally don’t start spawning in September. There are many people on here finding lower temps in brook trout streams but their deff outside of lancaster county and are often hemlock lined with excellent canopy thermal protect and coller at higher elevation than lancaster creeks.
It’s going to be much hotter than 67 on litiz run. No wild brown trout that I’m aware of but there are a few rouge rainbows running around.

It’s going to be much hotter than 67 on litiz run. No wild brown trout that I’m aware of but there are a few rouge rainbows running around.
Oh ok i may have gone during a cooler wetter summer last time then. I’m sure you have been there more recently than me the

Thanks everyone, looks like I’ll be bringing my bass outfit with me.

Back