Lancaster Area

thebassman

thebassman

Hey everyone!

I am thinking about taking a trip up to the Fly Fishing show in Lancaster and was curious if there was any place to hit the water before or after I walk around the show. I would be willing to drive up to an hour away at most. I am coming from the Bensalem area. I could always hit Valley on my way back home, but would like to try new water.

Thats if the weather allows it!

Steven

I'm heading there too on Saturday.

You could head up around Harrisburg and hit Clarks Creek or up into Lebanon County and hit some of the streams there. I would think this would be within an hour from Lancaster but it is pushing your trip a bit further out.

Just an FYI, Donegal is about 80-90% frozen over in the regs section. There may be some open water near the headwaters.

Clark's is frozen as well

Good points about the ice.

The way things are looking this winter, by the end of this month, many streams may likely still be frozen. You could push further west to the Cumberland Valley where the water will be fishable but this will put roughly an hour of driving further to the west. Might not be worth it if our winter persists like this

Any new on Fishing Creek? Is it frozen shut?

Quittapahilla in Lebanon County might not freeze over due to limestone influence. Would be about an hour drive from Lancaster. Considering next week's daytime temps are in the 20s I would spend some time at the fly fishing show and then hit one of the watering holes within easy walking distance of the convention center for some beers and maybe a burger.

With all the effluent that makes it into Lititz Run it may have open water as well.

The Tulpehocken in Lebanon County would be within your 1hr mark for the show. It's a tailwater, so maybe wouldn't be frozen over. I used to live in Myerstown and loved the stretch that ran through the area. Used to fish it all the time. Never during the winter though. I only started fishing in winter in the last couple years.

Im actually planning to be at the show on Saturday, and thought about possibly revisiting the Tulpehocken while in the area. If you'll be there in Saturday pm me sometime before then. Maybe we can go fishing at some point Saturday. Depends on what the weather is like and what the guy I'm going with wants to do, but it's a possibility.

Lititz run is maybe an option also, though access is tricky. Easiest place is in the fly fishing only section. Dunno if that would be frozen over or not. It's a tough stream even when it's warm out - I fished it when I was living in Lancaster, and very rarely caught any fish other than sunnies and fall fish. Definitely trout in it - just spooky and heavily pressured in the FFO section.

Back