Lamson ULA Force Reels

TUNA

TUNA

I have been thinking about getting a Lamson ULA Force reel. Do any of ya'll own one? I have seen them in person a few times, but never loaded up with line. It will primarily be used on a 10' 4wt and a 8.5' 3wt. Any info, opinions, or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm sure it's a good product, but I believe a reel like that is unnecessary for a 3 or 4 wt rod. If you were going to drop the cash, I'd buy one for a 6-9 wt rod and spend a hundred bucks on a battenkill instead.

Tuna, PM sent.

it's not a good reel. it's a great reel. don't let anybody who doesn't own one tell you different.
it is perfect for a 3 or 4 weight.
i own - 7 lamsons 3wt- guru, 4wt- ula, 4wt- litespeed, 4wt-konic, 5wt- velocity, 8wt-velocity and 10wt- velocity. and i also currently own or have owned just about all other makes.
this is the best freshwater reel. period.
i have landed many fish over 20" on my 9ft 3wt ula outfit with 7x on western streams fighting the fish from the reel. the drag is flawless.
the only issue (when compared to it's full framed cousins) is the strength of the frame when misused.
if you drop it from the bed of your pick-up truck, the frame may bend.
the other lamsons don't have that problem.
if you are going to fight big fish from the reel then this (or any of the lamsons) is for you. the ula is more expensive than the others and it is lighter, but less durable.
if money is no object - this is the reel for you.
if you are prone to technical misadventures (as i am) then you might want to choose a guru, velocity or litespeed.
the konic, although also a sweet reel with a great drag just isn't as pleasing to look at or hold in your hand
my $.02
gut

I have 2 Konics so far, and I really like them. I am VERY prone to technical misadventures, but if I do get the ULA it will always have some sort of cover on it, even as I'm walking to the stream. I like it, because of how lightweight it is along with the awesome drag system. I'm really thinking about getting the 5 or 6 weight versions, that way I can use them on more than just 2 rods. Decisions, decisions.

Madison River Fishing Co. has the Lamson ULA on sale. You might want to give them a look.

I battle that same decision recently and went with the Lamson Litespeed Hard Alox. It is awesome. The weight difference between the Lamson Litespeed and the Waterworks ULA is minimal. I assume you will be putting it on the Streamflex and I don't think I would want to go with less weight on the 10' Streamflex as it may make the set up tip heavy.

Besides, the ULA is ugly.

lamson guru 2.0 - $189 with rio line -- south holston fly shop
this is a "5wt" reel but it is so light (4.9 oz) that it serves a 3wt well.
this is what i have on my 9' 3wt z-axis. i switched out the ula to the guru because i beat up this outfit so much. i bent the frame on the ula and had to "re-tool" it as abuse is not covered in the warranty. they did offer to repair it, but at a fee.
the ula is on my 8'4wt biix.
the added spool diameter on the guru allows me to pick up line faster when fighting a large fish on light tippet
gut

I have a hard alox as well, it's a well built reel with a great drag but overkill for the 4wt I use it with. IMO, all the Lamson reels have something to be desired in the looks department

I personally think the ULA looks nice. I did see the sell at MRFC, which is where I will probably get it from. I will have to seriously think about the Guru or one of the other models as well. Anyone try any of the LOOP reels?? We have no dealers in the area, and I would really like to handle one before I buy it.

Jdaddy: I was worried the ULA might make it tip heavy, but I'm probably going to use it my 6 wt streamer rod, and my soon to be 6 or 7 wt 11' Steelhead/deep nymphing rod. I'm also in the market for a switch rod, and if I get the bigger ULA it could work on that as well. I am going to be getting a bronze Galvan Torque to pair up with the Streamflex. I'm not much for looks, usually, but the bronze Torque and the wraps on the Streamflex would look sweet together. I know the fish don't care, but I figure if I spend the money on a few really good reels now, I won't have to later. The Litespeed is very nice, too.

FWIW, I own a heavier 10' 5wt rod and an 11'3" switch, and both of those I use a Medalist 1595 on, which tips the scale at 7.1oz (although I did wind up a 1495 spool to try on the 5'er, that'd weigh in at 6.1oz, all weights w/o line and backing).

You should really see if you can mount the reel to the rod before you drop this cash, it might change your feelings when its in the hand.

I've tried the ULA on every rod I own, a friend has one. Another friend has a Torque and although I haven't tried it on the correct rod, yet, I'm pretty sure it will fit. My Dad has a Glavan and it fits well on the intended rod, but like you said, its a little too much dough to just dump out. Thanks, gfen. I also have a couple Medalists as well, they're functional and reliable enough for me, even though I haven't used either in a good while.

No, I'm not saying go cheap, but I am saying be careful before you spend that much dough on a reel that may not fit the rod, and then I'd like to make smoe sort of folksy axiom about it being different in the hand than in the bush, but for the life of me, I can't think of something that fits here.

Also, Lamsons are ugly. I wanted to say that since this thread started.

Now a really ugly reel would be those fancy colored Abels, especially red, who uses a red fly reel anyway? Just kidding, I can't believe you guys think the Lamsons are ugly, to each his own I guess. I have 2 Konics right now and just want something nicer, i.e. stronger, less prone to scratches, and better components. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but if you slip and fall on them the frame bends and chips away. I guess that only happens with the ones that don't have the Hard-Alox finish. Really, I should just take my time more and not fall on my reels so much.

TUNA wrote:
Now a really ugly reel would be those fancy colored Abels, especially red, who uses a red fly reel anyway?

Not me, but I would like one. ;)

The fish finish ones are a bit much, though... although, a truly, epically ugly "high end" series of reels can be found if you just google ari t hart.

I'll check it out. I agree that the fish finishes are a bit too much, as well. The Airflo Balance is another one that I think is hideous. Hatch reels are nice, but I'm trying to stay around $300 at most.

I think the Hard Alox Litespeed is beautiful, as is most of the Lamson and Waterworks line and functions like a champ. Just think the ULA is ugly.

TUNA wrote:
Anyone try any of the LOOP reels?? We have no dealers in the area, and I would really like to handle one before I buy it.

I use a Loop Opti Creek on my 9' 4 wt. Z-Axis and it is a tremendous reel. I've never used anything so smooth. It's a really sweet piece of equipment. Light, large arbor, beautiful, excellent drag (quite in and out). Fits very well on my Loop Opti Creek 3 wt. but is overkill for a 3 wt. But it looks cool and balances nice :) It also fits my Loop Opti Nymph 5 wt. very well too and can get about 80 yards of 20 lb backing with a WF line.

In short, I can't say enough about the Loop Opti Creek reel. I love it. If you want something a little bigger, there is the Loop Opti Dry Fly, which is rated 5/6. It is too big for me for the 5 wt. YMMV. It does not have a silent drag but it is whisper quiet, kinda like a Galvan.

For comparison purposes, other reels I have are the Orvis BBS III, Lamson Velocity 3.5, Galvan 3.0 Standard. The Loop is head and shoulders a nicer piece of equipment.

Cheers,
Mike.

FYI Sierra Trading Post has ULA's on their site right now. DON'T BUY WITHOUT A CURRENT COUPON % OFF OF AT LEAST 35% !!!! If you need help finding offers check slickdeals.net, fatwallet.com or PM me.

They're cheaper from Madison River Fly Co, most of the time. I get all the STP coupons via email. The cheapest I've found the 2XLT is $216 from STP. I think I'm picking up a barely used Purist instead, now. Decisions, decisions. Thanks Jdaddy!

Back