LaFontaine Deep Sparkle Pupa & Emergent Sparkle Pupa

I fish a version of them successfully .... Often times trying that if there nothing more obvious.

Once in a blue moon I'll fish them. Typically, a plain old larva or a Harrops pattern for up top.

BradFromPotter wrote:
Does anyone still fish LaFontaine's Deep Sparkle Pupa & Emergent Sparkle Pupa?

The Deep Sparkle Pupa used to be my go to fly back in the 90's. It's been so long since I've fished them I don't even have any in my fly box.

I still tie and fish them. Sometimes they are the only fly that works for caddis.

IMO, the big reason why many think they are only a so-so pattern is nearly all the flies I see tied are either not tied correctly and/or not tied with the correct material > antron and sparkle yarn.

Anyway, they work as well as they did decades ago when Gary LaFountaine created them.

Tie some up and fish 'um, BFP....it's worth the effort.

agree with afishinado,

I wouldn't trout fish anywhere usa without having both.

When I first started fishing the Grannom hatch with Lafontaines patterns, I bought and tied up a few emergent sparkle pupas in tan, olive, and black (dark gray). Not sure why the pattern was sold commercially in black, but I bought a couple anyway. My first Grannom season fishing these flies, I used the Tan and Olive Emergent Sparkle Pupa, and to be honest, I had a tough time fooling fish on these flies. Most fly shop Grannom patterns are apple green colored or darker tan, so I continued with this color scheme even though they were not working that well.

The following day I arrived to the stream and like the day before, the water boiled with rising wild browns taking the emerging pupas as they began to hatch. I put on the same ESP in Tan/Olive and casted into an area with at least 10 rising browns - only to fool one fish. I finally nipped the tan/olive fly off and tied on my last emergent sparkle pupa, the Black/ Dark Gray version. The very first cast over a riser resulted in a solid hook up of a big wild brown. The next 3 consecutive casts all got a take as well. Here was a situation I found that fly color made all the difference. Since that day many years ago I’ve carried the black ESP version for the Grannom hatch and it has turned a once frustrating hatch into a more enjoyable experience. Give it a try this spring.

LetortAngler wrote:

When I first started fishing the Grannom hatch with Lafontaines patterns, I bought and tied up a few emergent sparkle pupas in tan, olive, and black (dark gray). Not sure why the pattern was sold commercially in black, but I bought a couple anyway. My first Grannom season fishing these flies, I used the Tan and Olive Emergent Sparkle Pupa, and to be honest, I had a tough time fooling fish on these flies. Most fly shop Grannom patterns are apple green colored or darker tan, so I continued with this color scheme even though they were not working that well.

The following day I arrived to the stream and like the day before, the water boiled with rising wild browns taking the emerging pupas as they began to hatch. I put on the same ESP in Tan/Olive and casted into an area with at least 10 rising browns - only to fool one fish. I finally nipped the tan/olive fly off and tied on my last emergent sparkle pupa, the Black/ Dark Gray version. The very first cast over a riser resulted in a solid hook up of a big wild brown. The next 3 consecutive casts all got a take as well. Here was a situation I found that fly color made all the difference. Since that day many years ago I’ve carried the black ESP version for the Grannom hatch and it has turned a once frustrating hatch into a more enjoyable experience. Give it a try this spring.

+1

Black has been productive for me too > Grannoms & Chimarra

Bright Green ESP / DSP for Apple caddis

Tan or light brown for the ubiquitous caddis species of that color.

ESP is my best pattern for fish feeding on emerging or stillborn caddis.
It also has proven to be an exceptional searching pattern, right up there with a rusty spinner, ant or ISO.

DSP too. I originally tied them as a bead head to help get them down, then fish them w/ Lisenring Lift. Deadly.

For all the credit he does get, I think LaFontaine is overlooked by many fly fisher today.

DaveS,
That's because everyone ties and uses mop flies now

Bob, I just did literally slap my head.

sandfly wrote:

That's because everyone ties and uses mop flies now

No! No, we don't! :-o

I watch guys catch plenty of fish on them, but every time I try to tie one on the end of my line, I break out in hives! :oops: ;-)

I always had good success with deep sparkle pupa (25 Years ago). But I hated tying them so they have disappeared from my box. I’ll have to look up some videos and give them a try again.

Can someone post pics of the well tied versions of these flies? I dont tie so i will have to seek out some for purchase, thanks

timmyt2 wrote:
Can someone post pics of the well tied versions of these flies? I dont tie so i will have to seek out some for purchase, thanks

I looked through all the ties and can't find one source that ties them correctly and likely the materials aren't correct, also.

Again, unless you tie them correctly (as per the "Caddisflies" book) and with the correct material, they really aren't anything special.

I believe that's why they are not a very popular pattern for caddis right now.

If you don't tie them yourself, I'm not sure it's really worth the bother or expense to buy them.

Edit: Try contacting Sandfly / Bob Childs at the Big Meadows Fly Shop. I know that Sandy has the right materials and may be able to tie some up for you. Good luck.

Here is a video by Gary L. explaining how to tie and fish the DSP & ESP > The tying starts at the 6:30 minute mark >

BradFromPotter wrote:
Does anyone still fish LaFontaine's Deep Sparkle Pupa & Emergent Sparkle Pupa?

The Deep Sparkle Pupa used to be my go to fly back in the 90's. It's been so long since I've fished them I don't even have any in my fly box.

I do if I can't get them to take an EHC. I have had some amazing luck with them. Trail them behind an EHC and it can be dynamite.

Thank you AF for posting the video. Not sure why I remember thinking they were difficult to tie. Will get a few back in the box soon.

I didn’t watch the video, but I think I saw it before.
My recollection and how I fish the pattern is to lightly dress the wing only. Everything else is in the film or just below it.

It’s also worth nothing, there can be huge numbers of caddisflies present, but that does not necessarily mean they are hatching. ( could be egg layers for instance. ) However, if pupal shucks are floating in the drift, then you have a by- god caddis hatch and for me, it’s ESP time.

BradFromPotter wrote:
anyone know what Lafontaine's recipe for the pupa of the Great Brown Autumn Sedge is? thanks!

Hey BFP,

I looked in up in his book >

Great Brown Autumn Sedge / Pycnopsyche

Ginger DSP > Size 4-8
Underbody: 1/2 Cream fur 1/2 Amber Sparkle Yarn (mixed and dubbed)
Overbody: Amber Sparkle Yarn
Legs: Wood duck fibers
Head: Cream Fur

Ginger ESP > Size 4-8
Underbody: 1/2 Cream fur 1/2 Amber Sparkle Yarn (mixed and dubbed)
Overbody: Amber Sparkle Yarn
Wing: Light Brown Deer Hair
Head: Cream Fur

Good luck this fall.

Back