Lady Amherst

jacob

jacob

Can anyone explain the difference between lady Amherst pheasant tails and regular ole pheasant tails? Simple question I can't find on the Google machine...

Amherst have very distinct black markings over a light background and can be dyed many different bold, bright colors. Ring neck pheasants are brown with dark, wide uniform barring.

I already knew the difference but Google worked for me. A quick search turned up many clear images of the two.

If you are asking about application, the dyed Amherst are often used as accents in the collars/hackles of steelhead and salmon flies while ringneck is often used for bodies and tails on trout flies. However, you can use them whatever way you want. You're the boss.

from the google machine....

lady amherst

natural-lady-amherst-pheasant-feather-tail-LP20--N-ALT4_1.jpg

photo-3-1.jpg

ringneck pheasant

Ringneck-Pheasant-Tail-Complete.jpg

Thanks! Yea I could get photos of each but couldn't find a good explanation. I appreciate it!

amherst fibers are also great wrapped as bodies - just like a pheasant tail nymph with ringneck fibers. If you dye them up (or buy them dyed) you add instant attraction to your nymph.

The amhert tail fibers can be used in streamers tied to the shenk like you might use flashing. The fibers resemble a guinnea (speckled) but are much longer and thicker.

This is my new favorite streamer pattern that uses Amherst >>

hoh bo spey

Yup. that is a nice spey fly and basically what I tie as well, but not with Amherst feathers. Too expensive just to add some accents to that fly especially if you buy several colors. I use very thin barred rubber strips or Ostrich Herl instead.

I like how that looks on the spey fly.

Golden pheasant also makes nice bodies.

Back