Lackawanna River - now's the time

KeviR

KeviR

OK, putting it out there. I'm going to be away this next week, so I won't be able to take advantage of the rain bump.
In the past I've noticed that the river gets good (and is still fishable/wadeable) when the flow bumps into the vicinity of 200cfs. Fish put on the feed bag and the water is stained but not muddy.
Nymphing is the order of the day.
If you take advantage of my intel, please post your results!

I would even say that the run-off in more urban/suburban areas makes the water even warmer. It may return to fishable temps once the water drops and what didn't run off makes its way through the system. I would not fish it now unless I saw that change happen.... They also could be bunched up at those AMD influenced spots.... Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I would even say that the run-off in more urban/suburban areas makes the water even warmer. It may return to fishable temps once the water drops and what didn't run off makes its way through the system. I would not fish it now unless I saw that change happen.... They also could be bunched up at those AMD influenced spots.... Just my two cents.
Last summer on a 90 degree day I fished the Lack early in the morning when water temps were in the low 60s. Fishing isn't over, you just have to use good judgment as to when and where.

Last edited:
Last summer on a 90 degree day I fished the Lack early in the morning when water temps were in the low 60s. Fishing isn't over, you just have to use good judgment as to when and where.
Def not saying it's over. In fact, I fished this morning. I am just saying that the Lack would not be on my short list this year. It was running at under half the normal flow this May and June, and it ain't no limestoner....

I am a bit surprised those temps were that high. I know rain and cloud cover can make a big difference and weather has been spotty but no 90 degree days in forever and it looks like double the normal flow. I bet those temps were taken at the end of the day. Maybe the poster's guide service is at the beach and doesn't want anyone fishing their stream while they are gone.

I am a bit surprised those temps were that high. I know rain and cloud cover can make a big difference and weather has been spotty but no 90 degree days in forever and it looks like double the normal flow. I bet those temps were taken at the end of the day. Maybe the poster's guide service is at the beach and doesn't want anyone fishing their stream while they are gone.
Unlikely Adam is a great guy, shares more information than most and it doesn't require a purchase.

Even if those temps are taken at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Trout need to recover x number of minutes for every 15 minutes above a certain temp. If the temps drop over night, it may still not be good to fish in the morning if they spent all day and half the evening in frog water.

My guess is runoff and asphalt.

Def not typical and def taking a temp at quitting time at the shop, but..... The historical low was like 30 CFS in the 90s and it was in the low 40s twice in the TT section this spring already. My original reply to Clams was in line with what sixfootfenwick is saying too. I would not run out chasing high water because all that volume is runoff from the roads. I would pray some of that rain also got in the ground and would give it time is all...

Def not typical and def taking a temp at quitting time at the shop, but..... The historical low was like 30 CFS in the 90s and it was in the low 40s twice in the TT section this spring already. My original reply to Clams was in line with what sixfootfenwick is saying too. I would not run out chasing high water because all that volume is runoff from the roads. I would pray some of that rain also got in the ground and would give it time is all...
I bet the combined sewage outflow is ripping too or was.

I bet the combined sewage outflow is ripping too or was.
That is funny, or not really, but I was going to ask if it happened to smell a little organic....

Def not saying it's over. In fact, I fished this morning. I am just saying that the Lack would not be on my short list this year. It was running at under half the normal flow this May and June, and it ain't no limestoner....
Oh I know you're fishing, you ain't no mitch!

Back