Lackawanna County Beaver Dam Brookies

Millsertime

Millsertime

I fished a new stream on my way home from work yesterday. I researched various streams via Google, overnight rainfall totals, and the PFBFC Arcgis map.

The stream was typical Pocono brook trout stream and then I hit the first beaver dam. Past the dam the tree cover opened up and I felt like I was in Colorado. Gorgeous stream, tons of brookies eager for dry flies, and numerous dams....Beaver and man made dams.

I won't name the stream so I don't miff anybody but I'm sure a fair amount will recognize the beaver dam and open area.

The low humidity and temperatures made trout fishing so enjoyable yesterday. Fall here we come (hopefully)!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 9
Looks like a good find and a pretty impressive beaver damn. From the size and pictures it looks like a longer-lasting damn?

Tranquil, typically Pocono in Nature, great photos.

Awesome!

Dave....long lasting——> Yes.

The only way that big damn would come down is with an excavator or dynamite.

If that is the place i think it is....ya its been there a pretty long time

That is one helluva dam.
That looks like a nice stream to have on the way home from work.

Why do so many people on here write "damn" when discussing a dam?

Is that an inside joke?

Regarding these dams being long lasting. On a stream north of here, an old timer told me that "back in the day" there was a big beaver dam on it.

When I first fished it, there wasn't any.

A few years later, there was a huge one. The pond was about 3 acres, was the full width of the floodplain, and it was full of brookies.

Several years after that, it was completely gone. No pond at all.

BTW, I once fished a beaver pond in NE PA and caught 11 brookies on 11 consecutive casts.

Other times, though, the fishing can be pretty tough on beaver ponds.

Back