Lackawanna access points

D

Dan_r

I plan to pop into A&G at some point, but does anyone here have recs on someplace to get started on the lack? I have some family in the Jermyn area.

Thank you! now, where are the fish?! ;)
They move...a lot! My best advice: don't get your feet stuck in the mud. If you get a bunch of good drifts in a nice-looking stretch but get no action, move to the next section. This is true even during a good hatch.

Don't shy away from urban stretches. There are wild browns of various sizes all through the river from Archbald through the Old Forge borehole. There is also a rail trail that (mostly) follows the river down river through Taylor. After that, you will be following the train tracks from the Davis Street bridge to Old Forge.

Also, watch the depth while wading. The Lack is known for sudden depth changes.

Good luck!

"through the Old Forge borehole"

Are there trout below the Old Forge borehole?

"The Old Forge Bore Hole, where 100 million gallons of water flows out of the underground mines and leaches orange colored iron-oxide sludge into the lower three miles of the Lackawanna River."

Quote from the guide ^ Wadayathink?

I always liked it between the bridge in Winton and around what used to be Robert Mellow Park. There is some nice water in Winton both above and below the bridge. There are some good holes above Mellow Park too. Years ago, we used to park next to Fabri Plumbing in Peckville and fish both upstream and down from there. I doubt that Fabri Plumbing is still there, it's been a while but the road dead-ended right at the creek.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks everyone, going to head out and explore for a little bit today, I’ll report back!

Stopped at a few places between A&G and Jermyn today, only really fished one spot - where I met up with a member of the forum - and caught a beautiful ~18” wild brown on a bead head nymph. It was a great time.
That is awesome!
Lots of good fish in that river.

Sorry wanted you to explore it on your own so I didn't want to give you specific spots.

I have my favorites and figured out some "secrets".
Keep going, you will be surprised by that river.

Unlikely. However, there are a few reports of other fish. It's pretty bad below the borehole.

So, I'll amend that: "...up to the borehole discharge, non-inclusive."

02B8503B 45B0 4E55 B8B5 E2E5693E5AD0

Caught a few more today, managed a pic of the small one.

You fall in love with it yet?

It is like Penns on steroids when hatches get going some days. It's a wonderful urban wild brown trout fishery with some very good fish.

Truth be told I don't get many pics of the giants either, I've had my arm get sore fighting them. But your picture shows what I find most days that I actually catch fish in it, the small ones are a very good fish anywhere else.

You fall in love with it yet?

It is like Penns on steroids when hatches get going some days. It's a wonderful urban wild brown trout fishery with some very good fish.

Truth be told I don't get many pics of the giants either, I've had my arm get sore fighting them. But your picture shows what I find most days that I actually catch fish in it, the small ones are a very good fish anywhere else.
It's been a great couple of days on the water and I can't wait to explore more. I have family up here and all are avid outdoorsmen but none of them fly fish and they don't hold the lack in very high regard. I will say, there is a lot of talk about the TP fish from Carbondale around here (even among strangers that were talking to me on the lake I was fishing with my kids) - and as soon as I first waded out this morning I saw a fish tailing and targeted it and as I got closer realized it was actually TP 😆 I've caught some very nice browns though and they have been a blast.

I mentally logged one of the fish I caught as "across from the abandoned shopping carts".

I didn't catch any hatches as it's been cold and I've been out early in the day, but I've been seeing some bugs as I was starting to wrap up. I was catching them on the bottom.

Last edited:
It's been a great couple of days on the water and I can't wait to explore more. I have family up here and all are avid outdoorsmen but none of them fly fish and they don't hold it in very high regard. I will say, there is a lot of talk about the TP fish from Carbondale around here (even among strangers that were talking to me on the lake I was fishing with my kids) - and as soon as I first waded out this morning I saw a fish tailing and targeted it and as I got closer realized it was actually TP 😆 I've caught some very nice browns though and they have been a blast.

I didn't catch any hatches as it's been cold and I've been out early in the day, but I've been seeing some bugs as I was starting to wrap up. I was catching them on the bottom.
Dear Dan,

I'm glad you had a good time. I always enjoyed the Lackawanna when I lived in upstate NY. It was about an hour drive for me, so I fished it often. I haven't been back since I moved to Harrisburg in 2001 so it's been a long time. But I was always fond of how the trout came back when the mines died off.

Regards,

Dear Dan,

I'm glad you had a good time. I always enjoyed the Lackawanna when I lived in upstate NY. It was about an hour drive for me, so I fished it often. I haven't been back since I moved to Harrisburg in 2001 so it's been a long time. But I was always fond of how the trout came back when the mines died off.

Regards,

Hey Tim, maybe you can show me the local shopping cart stream. I'm in lanco and I appreciate your avatar.

Hey Tim, maybe you can show me the local shopping cart stream. I'm in lanco and I appreciate your avatar.
Dear Dan r,

I don't fish the Quittie, I went there a couple of times but floating soda bottles and beer cans made casting difficult.

I'm kind of old and kind of slow, but if you want to go fishing, I could show you a place or two. I have no FF buddies anymore and I sure could use one! I'm glad you like the avatar. It'd might save me from going down the road feeling bad because I had to fish alone again!

Regards,

Back