Knots

Fredrick

Fredrick

I have been looking at trying some new knots and found that the triple surgeons and the improved clinch knots that I have been using for some years now are inferior knots . Here are the knots that I plan on using now . For adding on tippet I plan on using the
Orvis Tippet Knot And for tying on my flies theDavy Knot The Davy Knot is faster to tie and is said to have 100% knot strenth not to shabby IMHO. The Orvis tippet knot since I use a lot of fluro is the strongest known knot for tying on a fluorocarbon tippet, and is second only to the ligature knot for nylon. In 6X tippet material, this can mean a full pound more strength than a surgeon's knot also not to shabby ,

When I started fly fishing I lost a few fish to the improved clinch knot comming loose. I know it was my fault.
Now I use the Davy Knot for all my flies. Even when I go Steelhead fishing. I have never had a knot failure with it.

I use clinch knots (not even the improved variety), blood knots, and a bastardized hybrid of the two. I rarely have knot strength troubles. It's been a real long time since I've broken a line on a fish, all my breaking comes courtesy of snags (sometimes purposely on rocks trees in front of me, and sometimes accidently on the backcast), and even then, it usually doesn't come apart at a knot.

Knots aren't high on my list of things to change, and if they were, I'm more concerned about knot size and hinging characteristics than I am about strength.

Used to lose lots of fish with poor knots skills when I started out.

In the last few years cant say that I lost fish due to knots.

Use the improved clinch most of the time. I learned the Davy knot 2 years ago but somehow resorted back to improved clinch- guess gravitied back to familiarity.

Going try the Davy again- does make for a small knot.

Another knot that I just learned for connecting large diameter line to a much smaller diameter line is another Wotton knot . Gonna try for the nymphs.

I have settled on the blood knot, the albright special, improved clinch, palomar, and perfection loop for all my knotting needs. Throw in the occasional specialty knot like the arbor, and I am at peace with my knot arsenal.

I suspect that the improved clinch is only "inferior" when you're dealing with someone that's trying to promote what I believe to be an unnecessary alternative. I haven't had a problem with my knots slipping or breaking easily in years.

The davy knot does look neat, but I'd probably end up going back to what's proven, comfortable, and predictable for me. Even if other knots are theoretically stronger, my ability to consistently tie "my" knots better and more consistently than the alternatives would probably make up for a good bit of that difference.

I like the looks of both, and they don't look too complicated. I've seen them before but never put them to use. I'm in the "I've used these knots for years and don't have any problems" crowd too, but may try to learn these anyways. I use all the knots Jay uses, except the palomar. I also showed the Mini-Jam crown on Saturday how to do an EASY on stream blood knot. It only takes 4 hands and your mouth and you're good to go! lol

:edit

I figured I'd share my Easy blood knot technique. It's a bit complicated to write but I'll try.

I honestly think the hardest part of tying a blood knot is finding the middle, especially when you're talking about small diameter tippets.

OK here we go....

Take both of the long ends of your 2 tippets and hold them with your pinky and ring fingers in each hand. Now with the other 3 fingers wrap the two tag ends 5 times (this is your middle). Now stick one tag end through and finish wrapping another 5 times. (you can hold the tag end in place with your mouth if needed lol). Now your one tag end is ALREADY in the middle, so it's easy to find it and stick the other tag end in the opposite way. It sounds complicated, but it is by far the easiest way to tie a blood knot on stream as I've found. It may take a bit of practice and dexterity (which I have none), but it makes the blood knot a bit easier. (unless there's a 20" brown rising 20 feet in front of you, then there's no hope.)

Ryan

unless there's a 20" brown rising 20 feet in front of you, then there's no hope

Ain't it the truth. I get excited and I lose all ability to tie knots.

Anyone try the Davy's on a hook bend for a dropper? Seems like you could make the first two "loops" in hand then slip the assembly over the hook and cinch down while holding the tag end on the hook bend.

This could prove much easier especially on very small or tailed flies (buggers/streamers where some portion of the tail always seems to get pinched in the dropper knot)

dreamsofstreams wrote:
Anyone try the Davy's on a hook bend for a dropper? Seems like you could make the first two "loops" in hand then slip the assembly over the hook and cinch down while holding the tag end on the hook bend.

This could prove much easier especially on very small or tailed flies (buggers/streamers where some portion of the tail always seems to get pinched in the dropper knot)

Yes, I do it exactly as you said. It works great.

pcray1231 wrote:
I use clinch knots (not even the improved variety), blood knots, and a bastardized hybrid of the two. I rarely have knot strength troubles. It's been a real long time since I've broken a line on a fish, all my breaking comes courtesy of snags (sometimes purposely on rocks trees in front of me, and sometimes accidently on the backcast), and even then, it usually doesn't come apart at a knot.

Knots aren't high on my list of things to change, and if they were, I'm more concerned about knot size and hinging characteristics than I am about strength.

i also never have problems with simple clinches, but use a modified triple surgeons... we agree on something.. geesh.

Clinch for smaller flies, palomar for the biggens. The Albright is a new one for me, but so far, I'll take it.

I used the Davey knot today for the first time. It worked fine, and was easy to tie. Since I only caught nine trout it didn't get a huge strength test, but when I hooked a nymph on a stick it took a very strong pull to break it. Obviously, this knot requires much more field testing, if you get my drift.

for streamers - a no-slip mono loop (figure 8) is my go to knot. i haven't had a knot failure with it - even with 100lb + tarpon.
palomar knot for flies bigger than 14.
simple clinch for smaller flies.
blood knot for tippet to leader.
slim beauty knot for large mono butt (i.e. 20 lb) to small mono tippet (i.e. 6lb) for streamer and bass bug fishing.

Anybody watch Knot Wars? Was thinking about getting the app for my droid. I'm always looking for a simpler, stronger knot.

Back