Kish or Honey

T

tyeager

If you had to work in Lewistown tomorrow and would be getting off at 7 pm which would you fish for an evening rise.

Keep in mind I have no experience in the area so access will have to be easy...like park and fish. I will be coming from the walmart in Lewistown.

Thanks

http://pgcmaps.pa.gov/pgcpublicviewer/

Not sure if this link will post or not. No expert about this but I've fished the Kish twice and both times I went to Reedsville and parked my car at a park or fairgrounds at the mouth of Tea Creek where it meets the Kish. Easy parking and lots of it, and the Kish is right there, no walking, no exploring. I was there in June and the Kish held plenty of trout at that location. The mouth of Honey creek is maybe a quarter mile dowstream from there.

My apologies, but my link just takes you to the PAGC mapper entrance page. I tried to link you directly to the map of reedsville, but no dice.

Honey is a great stream with easy access. I've never fished Kish. Have fun.

I think if you only have an hour or so to fish Kish is probably the better option. Tups's advise about Reedsville is the best location to park and fish. Park and walk down stream until the stream gets really tight and fish back up. Plenty of fish in that stretch and from my experiences this year, plenty of insects hatching.

I think I'd fish kish in Reedsville too. Across from the closed natural foods coop (it's right on the main road - you'll see it) is a gravel lot and whatever business is there allows people to park and walk in to fish. Park there and just head downstream like everyone said. Actually, I may be fishing kish tomorrow evening. I'm hoping to maybe see some sulphurs - I've heard the hatch can be good on that stream.

Kish has a lot of wild browns.

Which are locally referred to by the name "holdovers."

:)

troutbert wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the "holdover" comment... But I'm sure that a lot of the brown trout in Kish are wild. Kish creek is on the PFBC's natural reproduction list, anyway.

The holdover nickname comes from the fact the kish is stocked.

Right I know it's stocked. But I've been under the impression that there is a healthy population of wild brown trout on that stream. I wonder how many of the brightly colored brown trout I've been catching are holdovers or just plain stockers, and how many were born in the stream? Usually I think of stocked fish as being dull and having messed up fins. But I guess once a holdover has been in the stream for a year or two it's basically a wild fish anyway...

Well, the best thing to do if'n you're really curious is to take a slighty in focus pic of the fish, post it here and let the 'experts' hash it out thru 4 pages of discussion... ;-)

tomitrout wrote:
Well, the best thing to do if'n you're really curious is to take a slighty in focus pic of the fish, post it here and let the 'experts' hash it out thru 4 pages of discussion... ;-)

Agreed!

To the OP - I think both are pretty good streams. I've fared better on Kish...I think it's a little less moody and easier to fish. I think this is largely a product of having more gradient through the Narrows section and that type of water being generally easier to fish than the flatter water on Honey.

lv2nymph wrote:
The holdover nickname comes from the fact the kish is stocked.
And many anglers don't know the difference.
I'd bet most of the population is wild, to be a holdover a fish has to survive the stocking season plus live in the stream until the next stocking season.

I'm sure troutbert was being coy when he mentioned the holdover thing.

They stock rainbows in Kish so I would bet that most of the browns are wild.

I do disagree with troutbert though, the locals would call them natives.

I also wonder how many of them are caught during that stupid tournament that's coming up.

troutbert wrote:

I thought the meaning of this was clear, but some people misunderstood. So here is further explanation.

Sentence#1 "Kish has a lot of wild browns."

Meaning: Kish has a lot of wild browns.

Sentence #2 "Which are locally referred to by the name "holdovers."

Meaning: Many local people refer to these wild browns as "holdovers."

This is not unique to Kish Creek or that region. You hear the same kind of thing in many places in PA.

Oh. So you meant nothing except exactly what you said. Lol. Thanks. I'm not a local - just moved to the area last August, and have never heard anyone but fly fisherman call anything a holdover.

jeremymcon wrote:
Oh. So you meant nothing except exactly what you said. Lol.

Yep.

I talked to a bunch of local fishermen when I first began fishing the stream, and that's what I heard. When I said those brown trout with nice colors and good fins were wild (streambred) trout they vehemently denied this and said that they were holdover stocked trout.

If some people are now calling them "natives" that is progress, because they understand that these are streambred trout, not holdover hatchery trout.

Speaking for myself I "got it." Troutbert was making note of the fact that many of the locals who fish it do not appreciate that those pretty looking trout are streambred.

troutbert wrote:
jeremymcon wrote:

Yep.

I talked to a bunch of local fishermen when I first began fishing the stream, and that's what I heard. When I said those brown trout with nice colors and good fins were wild (streambred) trout they vehemently denied this and said that they were holdover stocked trout.

If some people are now calling them "natives" that is progress, because they understand that these are streambred trout, not holdover hatchery trout.

Hey TB,

Interesting. What happens when these guys catch a 4 or 5" trout? Still a "holdover"?!?

afishinado wrote:
troutbert wrote:
jeremymcon wrote:

Yep.

Hey TB,

Interesting. What happens when these guys catch a 4 or 5" trout? Still a "holdover"?!?

"Damn state stocked a bunch of drinks last year!"

Boyer

Back