Kids waders and rods

rudeone

rudeone

My son is eight and I have been toying with the idea of getting him a pair of waders for the spring as well as his own rod. Any one have any recommendations for either item for a kid?

Neoprene or breathable? Neos are cheaper and he is obviously still growing so I don't want to spend a ton of money only to have them fit him one season. Then comes the question, if I go with breathables, who makes kids wading boots? I know Simms makes the waders but I guess I need to look who has boots for kids also.

Help!

As the father of 12 and 15 y/o boys I can tell you that there are plenty of places that make waders for kids. I can also tell you that being able to hand down at least once not withstanding, you shouldn't pay much for them as unless you have another buyer lined up for them when your kid grows out of them next week.

Here is an inexpensive kid's pair. If you can get hippers cheaper do it. An 8 y/o doesn't need to be wading chest deep in any water. Breathables will be more forgiving as far as buying a size he can wear longer. Neoprenes might make him happier in the cold water. That's something you and he will have to decide.

As far as rods...you live what, 40 minutes from Cabela's? Take a drive and let him try some out.

I got my 7 year old waders and boots from here...not a bad price.

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/waders-boots/bridgestone-waders/bridgestone-waders-children-s.html

I've got one on the way so can't put my 2 cents in for what works, but I was going to post the albright site too. Cheap waders as they'll grow out of them easily and not too bad to replace. After they grow out of them let me know and I'll buy them for when my kid gets old enough lol.

Check out their rod and reel combo's on albright too. I think they're like $60 so no worries of it getting broken and being out too much money.

*stepping onto the soap box*

All I gotta say is this: Don't force your kids to use a piece of equipment that you would not use.

Example: Don't buy your kid a 7' 6" 3wt when a 9' 5wt is preferable for most of the creeks you are going to fish.

I see just this sort of thing suggested a lot on various BB's and want to punch my computer when it is suggested.

*stepping off the soap box*

Kev

I agree with what Kev said but I think you would have found this out by actually letting him play with the rods and seeing what he's capable of handling. Glad he mentioned it.

PennKev wrote:
Don't force your kids to use a piece of equipment that you would not use.

I disagree with this broad rule. I'm a bad example because I would use a $25 rod and reel, but I would certainly not put expensive equipment or delicate wading or raingear on a 7 year old unless you have no questions asked warranties on it all. Kids do not approciate the value of a dollar.

If you want to PM me the shoes size and dimensions (height/weight) I may have an older pair of Gino's to give you. I liked the Cabelas Nylon waders. Not breathable, but they are "slide-down-the-riverbankable."

Jack,

I think they were referring to using a different "weight" rod rather than a different "quality" rod for your kids. If you're fishing a moderately wide stream and you yourself are fishing a 9' 5wt, then you shouldn't expect a youngster to use a 7' 3wt just because he/she is smaller. I see no problem with using lesser "quality" rods and reels for kids due to them just not knowing exactly what to do and a higher chance of it being broken. But I think Kev and Tom are saying that some people give bad info on using a "smaller" rod and reel due to it being a "smaller" person.

But I think Kev and Tom are saying that some people give bad info on using a "smaller" rod and reel due to it being a "smaller" person.

Exactly! I'm not advocating giving a first-time 8 year old angler an $800 outfit at all. Keeping the start up costs down is wise as the child may not like fishing much (*GASP* THE HORROR) or, as mentioned, the equipment might be abused. However, the equipment should be suitable for the fishing so that the child has the best chance of success. A short light rod might be slightly easier for them to handle, but if they need to fish a nymph rig all day, it might be next to useless.

Kev

Don"t start bad habits. Make sure they can cast the rod (not Throw it). My daughter can cast up to about 7' rod lenght now without getting out of control for 1/2 hour, so I keep her in the 5' to 6' range and slow her down. I keep her to small water. If were fishing the river it is a bait caster. plenty of time for additional rods.

Joe E

Two Christmas' ago I bought my nephew a pair of the Cabelas breathable waders (I'm not sure if they still sell them). The kid really likes them. I wish I had them when I got started. It's tough being vertically challenged when your 8 - 10 years old and hip boots don't help a kid much in that department. I also bought him a wading staff ( a Folstaff copy at ****s Sporting Goods ). I took it apart and removed one section to make it kid sized. He likes it cause he can be equipped just like his dad and uncle.

echo company makes a nice kids rod

Well, I just misunderstood on the value vs. rod length/weight issue. That's why I only disagreed with the statement as it was broadly made. This said, you have to get equipment appropriate to their age and interest. I would just suggest, since your inquiry is about waders, that you choose something indestructable, rather than delicate but breathable unless you know already he will be accompanying you on long, hot walks or extended summertime fishing trips.

I have a seven year old and last season he was pesting for chest waders like dad but I went with muck boots instead. Needless to say he filled them up within 10 minutes of our first outing. Kids will be kids and sloppin in the water is what they do best!

I'd be hesitant to buy any 7 yr old chest waders. Hip boots MAYBE. Every child is different but I can find plenty of local water for my son that doesn't require chest waders. Just my 2 cents.

Rude,

Send me a PM...what size feet does your son have? I have a pair that I bought for my son from Cabelas a few years ago...they might fit him...haven't checked them for holes lately but they worked great the last time he had them on...

I need to check the shoe size when I get home...Also, I think Echo is making a kids rod...

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_gecko.php

Boss

Back