Kevin Compton's Double Duck Caddis

T

tctrout

My newest video features Kevin Compton of Performance Flies tying his Double Duck Caddis. Kevin demonstrates some intermediate tying techniques in this one, and then shares the situations in which he likes to fish the pattern.

Enjoy!

Tim

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9EBNvrH6H4[/youtube]

Hey Tim,

It's hard to find a pattern that's both realistic looking to the fish and visible to the angler. Plus the colored-up butt adds a little attractor allure to the fly. Nice!

Thanks for putting it up.

What is the post for? I mean, that fly is so bushy and will ride so high in the water that you should see it coming from 5th Avenue.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
What is the post for? I mean, that fly is so bushy and will ride so high in the water that you should see it coming from 5th Avenue.

A fly tied in a natural color, aka earth tones, often gets lost on the water in the shadows, as well, a fly without some bright or contrasting color often gets lost in reflections from the foliage along the bank.

Plus, some of us can actually cast and fish quite a distance out. :p

Feel free to omit the post and use your plastic bubble instead :p :p

All kidding aside, it looks like a really good adult caddis pattern incorporating realism, visibility as well as attraction. It takes a lot more time than tying a CDC & Elk, but I'm going to give it a try.

Very nice! Off to the vise...

Very nice tutorial and fly.

Good one! I tie one similar and its a fish catcher. I would fish this one with no question.

Thanks for the positive comments, as always. I've been fortunate to feature some great guests and flies on my channel, and this one fits perfectly. It definitely works, too! ;-)

Tim

This has been my primary caddis pattern for a couple years now. It and some of it's variations have a big following on western tailwaters.

Would be nice to see a video with the Cornfed Caddis as well.

Back