Kettle Creek

J

jasonromagna

I am heading to Kettle Creek state park tomorrow to do a little Fly-Fishing. Any suggestions on flies or places to fish. The camp I am going to is right below Bush Dam, for those who re familiar with the area. Any help is appreciated.

Fish above Bush dam if your intent is trout.Hendricksons, quill gordons possibly march browns and the respective spinners. Tan caddis with or without an egg sack.

Thanks, Chaz. I have fished at Leighty Bridge (sp??) before. My buddy has a camp and I am going up to fly fish for the first time. Is there a fly shop some where up there to purchase these flies??

Yes. There is Kettle Creek Tackle Shop. It's great. I've always wanted to buy one of his handmade rods.

http://kettlecreektackleshop.com/

tan caddis, red quills and march browns been the ticket lately each time I been there.

I'd fish above Bush Dam but don't get excited cause the quality of fish stocked and their stocking process was horrible! Expect some march browns BUT if we get a lot of rain and the water comes up don't expect many risers.

Was just up there 2 weeks ago. If you stop by the tackle shop they will have flies of what Is/Was/and is going to be hatching. March browns were hatching 2 weeks ago.

Fished the FFO section and saw 4 elk about 2 weeks ago. Didn't catch many fish but I'll trade not catching fish for seeing elk any day. It was amazing I was NOT expecting that at all.

There are also trout below Bush dam - from the tailrace down through the small dam at the lower campground. And even further downstream to where 2 mile run comes in.

Seeing the elk will probably be the highlight of the trip! I hear they have been hanging around Leidy and Beaver Dam (area between Bush dam and Leidy) quite regularly lately. After fishing there on opening day I have little desire to return this year.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Seeing the elk will probably be the highlight of the trip! I hear they have been hanging around Leidy and Beaver Dam (area between Bush dam and Leidy) quite regularly lately. After fishing there on opening day I have little desire to return this year.

I have a cabin off Leidy Bridge, see the elk a lot there. Gee, I can't understand why you were discouraged after fishing there opening day (just kidding). What a zoo.

I just got back from fishing crossforks area on saturday. What a circus. Flow was nice a bit low but very few bugs and and very few fish working in top. I was disappointed a bit.

That sucks...kinda told you it would be that way. They have to change some things on that stream or do a better job stocking. When a stream is 99% reliant on stocking and they keep putting less and less fish in plus spreading them out less and less well its just not a good combination. Plus I can remember when the average size of fish was like a foot or bigger but that was years ago. Seems like they are smaller and smaller every year. Its just not what it used to be. At least Pine Creek and the area businesses all chip and and stock their own better bigger fish. You should have driven down towards Bush Dam and looked for the elk!

I spent most of my time on the sinnemahoning where there are bigger and better fish. I just took a day trip to kettle to see some new water. didn't work out but that's fishing.

FYI I stopped at the Kettle Creek Tackle Shop at Hamermersly Fork.
The owner,Phil ?,couldn't have been more helpful with the hatches and the "wheres".Great selection of flies too

I left my leader wallet t home and bought two of his dry fly leaders.they were fairly priced and turned over beautifully

Also fished the Sinnemahoning at his suggestion caught several very healthy fish on soft hackles and had a19" fighter close to hand but it broke off

Hi Jason,

Have you given up the WB for Kettle and other PA streams? I had good fishing on the WB 4/22 - 4/26 but since then it has been very cold there in the evenings and very little happens until 3:00 or even later. I get bored waiting for hours so I stopped going up. The weather looks nice starting next Tuesday for at least three days. Should still me MB's, Sulfurs are on, GD's starting, and maybe BD's on the EB.

Back