Ken Lockwood Gorge info needed

SNJChef

SNJChef

Memorial weekend, I am stuck in the area of Ken Lockwood Gorge not sure if I will be able to hit Brodhead or not. Does anyone have any suggestions if they have fished this area in NJ before. Since it is a family get away not gonna have a lot of time on the stream.

Thanks in advance Chef
Brob546@gmail.com

Park at either end of the gorge and walk until you find an open spot (meaning not someone there already fishing it). The SBR above Lake Solitude was not stocked this year except for a small stocking by Shannon's Fly Shop.

The Musky is just a little further north and was stocked by F&G. Sorry I can't help you with spots on this river. I haven't fished it.

Bob lots of pocket water. Stop in at Shannons and get some advice. They are good people I have been told.

I fished it a few years ago. Again lots of pocket water, like deep pockets. I had success euro nymphing with weighted flies. tightline nymphing. Polish woven and small micronymphs. I suspect some rubberleg stones, and walts would work too.

KLG will get plenty of attention on Mem. day weekend. Get there early and plan on walking a bit. Someone on njflyfishing.com said to wade over to the other side, I don't know if he was kidding or not.

That depends on the spot, but whether trying to cross the river or not, a wading staff is a great piece of gear to have there.

The advice about KLG is sound. It is pocket water and Shannons in Califon is the place to go for flies and info.

A few comments. Dry fly action is just starting when it should be on for a while. Action seems to be right at dark, so stay late.

I really like to fish outside the Gorge where the crowds are way, way down. Along River Rd north of Califon to the Vernoy Rd bridge, the WMA in Middle Valley, or downtown in Long Valley. All these are great spots with low pressure. Ask the guys at Shannons for more details how to access these spots.

PM me for more info, or times you have free since maybe we can meet up.

What about the Claremont Stretch TCA?

Thanks for the info had a good day out on the stream, fished late when everyone else was packing up and got in to some fish.

Chef

The Claremont Stretch has its good points and bad points. First, it isn't stocked and electroshocking generally shows twice the number of the fish as the gorge with a mix of wild browns and native brookies. They are smaller, and the water is tougher to fish. It is lower gradient with less structure, so it is mostly tossing flies right up to and or under overhanging vegetation. If you are good at that the Claremont stretch is right for you, if not go elsewhere.

I like the general regulations water below Claremont Stretch for about 1.5 miles better. More fish, bigger fish, less fly fishermen.

Forgot to take these off the camera, a couple fish from the short trip.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 5
  • KLG5.jpg
    KLG5.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 5
Back