kayak's

rhbuilds

rhbuilds

looking to get a kayak for fishing, anyone have one they recommend. i seen an old town predator mx, looks cool. around $1200 though.

There are a lot of kayaks out there. I've been kayak fishing for almost 20 years. A sit on top would be your best bet. Your height, weight, and type of water you fish will all determine which kayak ans length you should get. Austin Kayak and Kayakfishingstuff are great resources.
The Wilderness Tarpon and Ocean Kayak Prowler are good all around yaks.
If you're on a tight budget, I highly recommend the Perception Pescador. It's basically an older Tarpon rebadged and sold at big box stores like ****s, Gander Mtn, and West Marine. You can sometimes pick them up for under $500.

Rhbuilds, Depending on when you want to buy, there are some options to consider. There is a paddle Sports show in NJ after the new year...can't remember the date. They have a ton of boats to look at and really make your decision hard. I have a Tarpon 120 SOT and it is a very stable yak. I can't flip it and it is good in rivers, streams and lakes. This is just one yak and there are several advances made since I bought mine years ago. I also have a solo canoe that since the inside is open and smooth, there is no place to get your fly line tangled. If you want to try one of my boats come Spring, let me know. I live in Red Hill.
I also belong to a kayak fishing club and many members have moved to the Hobbie yaks, but too expensive and heavy for me.

The wilderness tarpon has a great seat love being up just that little bit I have an ocean trident but it needs the tarpon seat.Thats all though.Like the oceans compartments better.they are both heavier than you would expect.both are very stable.Both worth the money.What ever you buy make sure you like the seat it is very important after a long day on the water.

Has anyone done a float trip down the West Branch. I am planning to put in on the game lands and do a several mile float. Was planning to lock up my mountain bike and kayak cart to pedal back to my truck.

Can anyone who has floated and fly fished the West Branch give some comments or recommendations?

Thanks

NuCanoe---------pm me for a deaL

Putting in at either game lands requires a schlep. A portage in the adirondacks. Not bad but I've never seen anyone carry a boat down to the first game lands. If your fit it wouldn't be bad and unless it's a fine skin on frame boat a little dragging never hurt mine. Of course it's all fine water. You can take out at the bridge on the NY side at Hancock or just down at shehawken access. I stay at the Delaware river club so I take out there. Hendrickson time can be a zoo. With a NY license there's some beautiful floating above. Sulphers to.

One big issue I have discovered, and this depends on the geo/physical situation you will use the kayak in, and that is WEIGHT. I, too have been kayak fishing for quite a few years, since 1997, I think, and have watched the development of fishing kayaks. It has exploded recently, and you can see what has been successful by what is being repeated. Storage: It seems they find places everywhere for everything. That's nice because it uses space efficiently, hoping what is done doesn't get in the way. so make sure there aren't features that will interfere with what you are doing. And often, this doesn't make itself known until after many trips, unfortunately.

Size: 12 ft seems to be the sweet spot, and I have had 3 kayaks of that size. I wouldn't want anything smaller b/c 12 ft is small enough. I wouldn't want anything much bigger due to handling and lifting. Less is more here. I have a 16.5 ft. Native ultimate tandem that is tough to cartop but easier than a canoe that it replaces. But that's an extreme. it isn't heavy, it's ungainly.

Weight: related to size. The new fishing kayaks like the Wilderness Ride and Olde Towne Predator and Native Slayer are too, too heavy for me to use. It'd be OK if you used a drive-up launch or even had a trailer (add $1200 for that if you don't own one). I use my kayaks mostly on the Allegheny River. None and I mean NONE of my floats have 2 simple, direct accesses to the river. In fact, I'd doubt just about anyone else besides crazy me would do the one access that I do below Franklin. A too heavy boat would be prohibitive. If your waters have good accesses, great, BUT it will limit how or where you can access more challenging waters. If you can't hump it to or from the water in some way that very much depends on your ability to lift and move the kayak, then that water, your kayak and you will NOT meet happily. That's one reason I won't get a Ride or Preadator. There is a new Native ultimate coming out this year that is more comfortable to stand in. The Jackson Kilroy is a sit-in with higher sitting options and is lighter for its size than other sit on tops.
Standing: I have become a huge fan of standing in kayaks. It was the holy grail that I have pursued since I started kayak fishing. I solo paddle the 16.5 ft native tandem when I shouldn't when I want to stand in it. You can't flip and pitch while sitting down. Not well. this is your choice, but wow, its fueling my next purchase. I'm favoring a sit-in based on lighter weight, greater stability, variable height seating positions and glide and silence. The scupper holes make some noise and, with noise, drag.

Well, that's about it.
JB

JB have looked at the NuCanoe for stand up fishing

I have been fishing from a Wilderness Systems Ride 135 now for two years love it but it is a little on the heavy side. If you are looking at doing a lot of stand up fishing the Ride is very stable. If you are looking at having to drag at all the nice thing about the Wilderness Systems boats is that they have a replaceable piece on the keel at the back end that is super easy to replace once it gets worn. If your looking at small stream fishing the Ride 115 is a smaller boat but easier to maneuver in tighter smaller streams. I went with the 135 so I could also use it in the salt water. If your going to go on any big water such as the ocean or very large lakes where waves may break over the top of the boat, a sit on top is the way to go. If your not going to go on the big water look at the Wilderness System Commander it is a kayak canoe hybrid. It has two positions for the seat and is super stable for stand up fishing.

Back