Kayak Fishing: Perception Pescador Pro 120 vs. Old Town Predator MX

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

This isn't necessary geared toward fly fishing but which kayak would better suit a fisherman for lakes and even if I wanted to take it for a cruise (along with my sit-in that I own) down the Delaware, Lackawaxen, etc? I have wanted a sit-on kayak for a while and both seem like nice options. Standing would be nice but not a deal breaker if I take it to local lakes. One weighs 64lbs. and the other 82lbs. Benefits/disadvantages to either model? Thank you!

This isn't even close...if you have the money get the Predator MX! Best paddle kayak out there for a river in my opinion! I own one and absolutely love it!

Atak 120 or Coosa HD

How about of the two I originally mentioned? Thanks!

I have experience with the MX and have only used it in lakes. It is very, very stable when standing and not a lot of 'junk' to get your fly line caught on.

It is very heavy though and I have loaded it myself on top of my vehicle and it wasn't fun. Trailer it or if you have a truck then it shouldn't be a problem. Get some wheels for it as well so you don't have to carry it anywhere.

Kevin is a fit young lad. He should be able to hoist a 100 pound kayak on the car like it was nothing

don't know the other brands so excuse if You are already considering it--if you mean ponds lakes and large rivers-by all means get a Hobie or some other brand with pedals and a rudder---much more fun to fish from than paddle only but they aren't meant for rocky bottoms.

Big-Bass wrote:

Don't know those ones heard good things about the Predator . Ones I mentioned are better all around yaks .

Fredrick wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:

Don't know those ones heard good things about the Predator . Ones I mentioned are better all around yaks .

So you think the ATAK and the Coosa HD are better then a Predator MX? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The ATAK to me was a huge disappointment. No waterproof hatches in the 120 and the 140 has that worthless rod pod in the back. The front hatch doesn't even have access to the inside of the kayak! There were so many head scratchers for me with the ATAK and the design of it. The Coosa HD isn't a bad kayak BUT the thing comes pretty much pre rigged and a lot of people complain about the placement of certain things on the kayak.

As someone had mentioned these are ALL heavy kayaks. All these kayaks that are stable to stand in are going to be on the heavier side. I however do not have a problem loading it in the back of my truck with all my gear still loaded in the kayak.

I still stand by on what I said . HAHA joke is on you :pint:

http://www.yakangler.com/kayaks-and-gear/item/3750-top-10-fishing-kayaks-2015

Fredrick wrote:
I still stand by on what I said . HAHA joke is on you :pint:

http://www.yakangler.com/kayaks-and-gear/item/3750-top-10-fishing-kayaks-2015

You fished out of how many of those kayaks? So you read one article and you are sold? Reason those kayaks are ranked at the top is because that was the first year they were ever offered. Actually if you look at the reviews on their page the Predator MX and the ATAK have the same ratings. The Coosa HD actually had a slightly worse rating. The ATAK though would be my last choice mainly because of the poor design of the hatches. Just too much wasted space on that kayak. I am though sure that they are all good to paddle, have comfortable seats, and are stable enough to stand in.

http://www.yakangler.com/fishing-kayak-review/335-old-town-predator-mx

http://www.yakangler.com/fishing-kayak-review/1795-wilderness-systems-a-t-a-k

http://www.yakangler.com/fishing-kayak-review/560-jackson-kayak-coosa-hd

Have you checked out the mayfly yet
http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/2017/02/jackson-kayak-mayfly-review-with-video.html?m=1

If this doesn't stop, I'm going to have to ask you gentleman to take it outside. Lol.

So what you two are saying is that big bass should get a 28' center console and be done with it?

krayfish2 wrote:
If this doesn't stop, I'm going to have to ask you gentleman to take it outside. Lol.

So what you two are saying is that big bass should get a 28' center console and be done with it?

All good fun Kray Kray . Any of the mentioned kayaks will be great for his needs .

Fredrick wrote:
Have you checked out the mayfly yet
http://looknfishy.blogspot.com/2017/02/jackson-kayak-mayfly-review-with-video.html?m=1

I have seen bits and pieces of the Mayfly...definitely looks like it could be a good one! Haven't taken the time to really look at it yet though.

I wonder if your line can find its way under the foot rest since it is mounted in the center of the kayak? Can your line go down on the side and get tangled or is it a tight fit against the sides and bottom? If its a tight fit this would eliminate the line getting wrapped around the foot rest pegs.

Fredrick wrote:
krayfish2 wrote:

All good fun Kray Kray . Any of the mentioned kayaks will be great for his needs .

Honestly once you are up in the $1000 price range it all depends on what suits your needs. I wanted an open deck so I stayed away from the ones with the storage between your feet. If its greater than 30" and a sit on top you can stand in them depending on your balance. Obviously the wider the easier to stand but harder to paddle. Just make sure you get one with a raised seat for comfort and easier standing. Most river yaks are around 12' and most lake ones are around 13-14'. Ocean kayaks get longer even.

I found the Predator MX in Urban Camo online for $799 as a closeout from $1299 so I had to get it. Then LL Bean had the Pescador Pro 120 (that also carries the LL Bean name and lifetime no-questions-asked warranty) for 25% with the email promo. So I got both... :)

Wish I had the money to do that! You will not be disappointed in the MX! The Pescador Pro 120 isn't the quality of the Predator MX BUT for the price range it fits in the Pescador Pro 120 seems like a really good kayak. I actually looked into the Pescador Pro 120 for my brother so he would maybe get rid of his stupid Sun Dolphin.

I think you will be very happy with the mx. I definitely don't like kayaks with a ton of junk (center consoles, etc) as they just attract line. Getting a casting bar and add a stripping basket and you will be set.

I would also consider adding oar attachments, so you can paddle like a drift boat. I have seen them added to some Nucanoes and it looks really slick and eliminates the problems of stowing a paddle quickly while try to cast. Also, easier to row long distances and faster was well.

I would also consider adding oar attachments, so you can paddle like a drift boat. I have seen them added to some Nucanoes and it looks really slick and eliminates the problems of stowing a paddle quickly while try to cast. Also, easier to row long distances and faster was well.

I can not fathom why I have never thought of this for my kayak. This is a great idea, Thank You!

Back