Juvenile Lobsters

F

Fishidiot

Mid July often sees a distinct lobster eating frenzy along the New England shoreline....

Not just the tourists - the striped bass that is :).

At this time of year, young lobsters molt and move around a lot drawing stripers into rocky shoals and shoreline outcroppings from the north shore of MA up through ME. Some anglers believe that this molt coincides with an outward migration of herring and other baitfish that had preoccupied the stripers in previous weeks. With baitfish scarcer and lobsters soft and tasty the bass focus on the "bugs."

Here's some recent lobster flies I tied in anticipation of an upcoming trip to ME. Simple fly: rabbit strip claws, chenille body, rubber legs and hackle. There's a heavy dumbell eye tied at the eye of the hook. The fly is about four inches long - a smaller version would make a good crayfish fly for smallies.
Note also the #50 mono loop weed guard. My plan is to fish these flies around kelp covered rocks deep and slow at dawn and dusk.

Attachments

• LobsterFlies.jpg
    LobsterFlies.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 13
Nice. I tie my crayfish pretty much the same way.

Interesting. Good luck!

During out recent visit to Bar Harbor, I just found out at the Mount Desert Island Oceanarium that they hatch and stock baby lobsters up there. Saw many tanks full of them - and they do look just like your flies. Very nice

Dave,

I found stripers on the jetties at Wells. Lots of baitfish around, but I did have follows on jigs. Maybe they were on the lobsters.

FWIW, I managed one on a rapala. No lookers on flies.

I would prefer you come up with a fly that catches lobster :)

Back