Just the tip

Chefwalt

Chefwalt

Recently crushed the tip of my early 2000’s Diamondback Glass 7’6” rod that is t covered or repairable by the New Diamondback Rod Co. Anyone know where/who I can send it to for repair that is somewhat reasonably priced?

Wow just read the "new" Diamondback Rod Co warranty statement. It would make me change my mind of what rod to purchase in the future.
I have made clams on rod warranty and have been very pleased with service and time on my Sage and Orvis rods. When you fish more than 100days a year you odds of an occurrence increase. Yes the price you may pay will be higher but the peace of mind is priceless.

Back to the old marketing : I'll sell more if the price is low vs price higher=give exceptional quality and service. Once you get bit by the cheaper prices not performing when the chips are down it will influence your future purchases. That is something I'll guarantee will make you think twice.

Yes $1000 fly rods are real expensive but the expectations better meet or exceed that price.

Diamondback Warranty

Looks like to OP must settle for a credit towards buying a new rod. While I understand why some would not be pleased, I also understand the cost to any manufacturer having to build and replace a section from a 15 or 20 year old rod.

afishinado wrote:
Diamondback Warranty

Looks like to OP must settle for a credit towards buying a new rod. While I understand why some would not be pleased, I also understand the cost to any manufacturer having to build and replace a section from a 15 or 20 year old rod.

You understand the cost better than me but there is zero chance I would purchase a rod from that company with what amounts to a 3 year warranty.

ryansheehan wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Diamondback Warranty

You understand the cost better than me but there is zero chance I would purchase a rod from that company with what amounts to a 3 year warranty.

Yeah, me too ^

We both fish a lot and know the odds are sumthin' will happen to a rod eventually....tailgate, Big Stosh your fishing buddy, whack it on an overhead tree, ceiling fan, drive over it with your truck....yada-yada-yada. And all that can happen 5 years, 5 weeks or even 5 days down the road!

First, a rod should fish well, if it doesn't, the price is moot. Second, always check the warranty and read it carefully. Many warranties are for manufacturing defects only, therefore your rod will have no coverage at all for all the above mentioned reasons for breaking.

So if the rod has only a warranty for defects, the smart thing is to figure in the cost of buying two; because if you use the rod a lot, chances are you will have to buy another one sometime down the road. If you are looking for a back-up rod or maybe a rod for your wife or son, or maybe you only fish occasionally, than a inexpensive rod without a real warranty may make sense. Just make sure the rod is really inexpensive when compared to rods that offer a no-fault warranty.

Again, if you use your equipment a lot, you definitely should weigh in the value of the warranty into the price of the rod. If you buy a rod with a long no-fault warranty, it's like an insurance policy, and the money you spend now will be for something that will be in service for many years, since it can be repaired, or will be replaced when broken.

One final thing, if decide buying a rod with a long no-fault warranty is the best bargain, be sure to add in the fees charged by the manufacturer for repairs to your calculation.

afishinado wrote:
We both fish a lot and know the odds are sumthin' will happen to a rod eventually....tailgate, Big Stosh your fishing buddy, whack it on an overhead tree, ceiling fan, drive over it with your truck....yada-yada-yada. And all that can happen 5 years, 5 weeks or even 5 days down the road!

It may also depend on how hard you are on rods. In over 55 years of fly fishing, I've broken three rods (all my fault and preventable.) That's out of 50 some rods that I've owned. To me, the cost of a warranty is just pissing money down the drain.

redietz wrote:
afishinado wrote:

It may also depend on how hard you are on rods. In over 55 years of fly fishing, I've broken three rods (all my fault and preventable.) That's out of 50 some rods that I've owned. To me, the cost of a warranty is just pissing money down the drain.

^ No doubt....YMMV.

I've too have only broken a few and all but one was my fault. The killer is, all but one of the rods I broke had no warranty.

The good thing is, it seems, now nearly every rod I really actually like to cast and fish good quality rods and are warranted. They have served me well for years without breaking. And I really don't own that many rods.

I find one rod that works well for me and fish it for years and maybe even decades. So it's no surprise that I really don't own that many rods even though I fly-fish a lot and have a rod for all kinds of FFing in all kinds of places. I buy and fish one good rod for each type of fishing and fish.

In freshwater I fish for small stream to big river trout, panfish in lakes and ponds, LM & SM Bass in big rivers and lakes, muskie. pike, walleye, as well as steelhead and salmon. In saltwater I FF the surf and boat for all kinds of fish both large and small like stripers and blues, albies, redfish and many others. Plus I Euro-style nymph a bit as well as fish two-handed rods.

I have friends that collect a whole bunch of rods and maybe fish them once in a while, which is fine if your into collecting.

Others I know keep buying rods trying to find one they really like, which is okay too, but I have neither the time nor money to keep purchasing rods. If you added up all the money they spent on rods vs me, buying and fishing one rod, I spend less and spend all my time fishing a rod that works well for me and is a pleasure to fish.

After a while, that rod almost becomes an extension of my arm and casting and fishing almost becomes automatic. I know what I can do with the rod and how to do it since I've fished it for so long and in so many situations. As well, fishing with the rod seems more enjoyable, like fishing with an old friend.

Again, YMMV. There's no right or wrong way. Everyone does their own thing. The main objective is to have fun.

Crushed vs. broke, splintered does’nt sound promising. Barring a total tip section replacement your options are’nt very broad. If 1 or 2 inches down from the tip are damaged, you can slice off the piece with a Dremel & cut-off wheel, measure the new OD, buy a appropriate sized new tip, attach new tip with thermo glue, rewind and fish your slightly shorter rod. Option 2 Find the same rod for sale. You’ll now have an extra butt section. No sarcasm intended, I feel your pain. If the damage had been in the mid or butt, theoretically an inside splice could have worked IMHO. Yes the action will be changed. To what extent I can’t speculate though you may or may not notice it.
FWIW, Janns Netcraft sells solid fiberglass ice fishing rod blanks that can be used for internal repair on thinner sized tip sections. Good Luck.

As a guy who prefers a fullflex fly rod, I have taken to vintage tapers more in both fiberglass and graphite. I never get a warranty.

Like afish said though, i will attempt to buy a 2nd of a vintage rod i particularly like. It can be hard considering some that I own.

My only rod with a warranty is my cabalas prime and it's already discontinued. I paid 50 bucks though.

Warranties are nice. Wish my rare hardy rods and cummings had one.

My advice is track that rod down and buy 2 more

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
My advice is track that rod down and buy 2 more

Of course the "warranty" on many of my rods is a 2nd tip, which was the norm when rods were all made from cane. It survives the company going out of business, and the lifetime of the original owner.

redietz wrote:It may also depend on how hard you are on rods. In over 55 years of fly fishing, I've broken three rods (all my fault and preventable.) That's out of 50 some rods that I've owned. To me, the cost of a warranty is just pissing money down the drain.

Warranties are for young whippersnappers who like the newest stuff and break stuff frequently. For people like me who have a certain preference in rod action...

...it is a colossal waste of money like Reditz says.

Case in point: I own a bunch of rods whose moderate action I love. In among that quiver are plenty of new(er) graphite, glass & even a couple of bamboo rods that have lifetime warranties.

ALL of the rods in question are now discontinued by the manufacturer; the bamboo rod builder is out of business, one of the glass builders passed away and the other no longer uses the blanks my rods were built on.

I figure if I break a rod, there is about a 99% chance any warranty claim I make will get me a "latest/greatest" new rod versus a repair with new/old stock parts for obvious reasons. That means if I break one of my beloved WARRANTIED rods, in it's place I will get something considerably different than what I broke based on what I see with the builders represented in my collection.

Not only that, when I "signed up" for the warranty by overpaying for the rods, the deal didn't include a "handling fee/flat repair fee" or inflated shipping & handling charges.

The only smart thing (or dumb thing depending on how you look at it) I did was to have one of manufacturers of my glass rods build me an extra tip & mid for a rod I dearly love.

What makes it dumb is that I basically PAID for EXTRA insurance on a rod with a warranty.

It sucks all the way around unless you are one of the people who busts rods just to get "your money's worth".

I purchased this new for $345 almost 20 years ago and did the bulk of my small stream fishing (Codorus and Letort) with it. I’ve never purchased a warranty, the previous company offered a nominal ‘No Questions asked’ fee. The new Diamondback company doesn’t really cover it for obvious reasons. I was looking for info on a rod builder who’d may be able to help me fix the tip.

Dream Weaver aka Barry Weaver in Elizabethtown.
Where is the break on the section? Can you post a pic? If it's crushed or splintered you're probably SOL.

Back