Junk flies?

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

List three flies that you consider to be "junk flies", and why you consider them junk?

I'll play:

1. Any wormy squirmy imitation;
2. All manner of streamers;
4. Sculptured imitations.

The mop fly. It’s junk. But I fish it, tie it, and love it.

also the Y2K, which I also fish, tie, and love.

Seriously... love your jung(k) fies, worms, tiny fish and eggs or sculptured.

i tye a junk fly for steel/salmon that is simply chenille knotted on a hook with no tying thread.

it is handy when you have to stick to the bottom and lose a fly every few casts.

it is truly a junk fly that pisses people off.

however,it catches fish.

Pom Poms glued on a hook for Ontario Browns. Shh, don't tell anyone how well it works. BB

If you know me or read my posts you know its the Green Weenie. The Green Weenie has caught more fish than you've lied about and I never hesitate to use it.

laurelrun wrote:

The mop fly.

If a mop so much as touches my fly box, I throw the whole danged box in the creek.

Lost a bunch of otherwise good flies that way.

;-)

Out4Trout wrote:
If you know me or read my posts you know its the Green Weenie. The Green Weenie has caught more fish than you've lied about and I never hesitate to use it.
I have to agree. The Green Weenie will catch trout when nothing else will. I keep a bunch of them. In the summer I use them, because I often see inch worms (almost the same color) hanging, and about ready to fall into the stream. So, to me it's a reasonable match to a natural food.

I kind of started this because I know there are some folks who just won't use certain flies because they fall into the junk category, as they don't really resemble anything natural. Like the Woolly Bugger in various colors, often slays trout. But, what's it supposed to be imitating?

Back