Junk Flies And the Beginner

jbewley

jbewley

The topic of Junk Flies and Squirmy Wormy has gotten me thinking. There is a very nice young man at the local feed store, who is an avid spin guy, but has approached me about learning to fly fish. So, I sorted through my old gear, that I no longer use and set him up with a rod, reel, vest etc. I have chosen to start him off with some junk flies, simply because it is the simplest way. If I attempted to tell him about all the fly boxes I have and how many I carry on any given trip, I think it would blow his mind. My plan is to take him into hatches slowly.

Perhaps, some anglers encounter on the stream, with a box of junk flies, are just starting out. When I moved to this area, the Fly Fishing Guide was a huge help adjusting to new water. It really is a shame it no longer exists.

Jim

I know we dropped a lot of heat on the junk flies in the other thread.

However, if you are starting off a new guy, the point is to get him into some fish. If that means dragging a junk fly over top of them, then so be it.

If he were forced to lay a delicately presented hatch-matching dry right on a seam, and tried that all day without catching a single fish, what's the point?

Yes, I know that "fishing" is about more than "catching", but get the new guy on some fish, and then let him progress and choose his path later on down the line.

And good on you for taking a new flyfisherman under your wing!

Lately I've spent a good bit of time taking a friend out teaching him various nymphing techniques. Now he's addicted and has spent more time fly fishing this year than the last couple of years combined. He wasn't a "beginner" per se, just new to nymphing. Makes me feel good to share the things I know because that's what really makes fishing enjoyable for me. Helping others and you get to have fun at the same time.
Yea, before long, he'll be outfishing me. Cant wait!

Instead of giving this person solely "junk flies" I think it is important to teach how more realistic yet generic patterns are often appropriate. I would have given him some PT nymphs and whatnot too. You don't need to have a ton of patterns but sizes of select patterns matter. Having and fishing something more realistic will give that person faith in flies that aren't gaudy and flashy and I think that is important.

FWIW, I agree with all of the above. I've been fly fishing, almost exclusively, for about 35 years. I started down that path by switching from a spinning rod to a fly rod while dead drifting live minnows for smallies on Neshaminy Creek. I loved how the fight felt on the longer fly rod. Then I got lazy/tired of catching and replacing minnow. So, I tried some classic streamers my dad had lying around. They worked well enough.

IMO, "junk flies" are a good move for a beginner, as long as you explain their role in fly fishing (maybe attractors, maybe a bit more imitative of certain foods). As stated elsewhere, they are particularly effective on recently stocked trout.

Regarding more classic fly patterns and "entomology" for a beginner, that depends largely on their interest in such things. Not having a basic grasp on aquatic insect life cycles will be very limiting, but not at first. Maybe, after a few fly fishing outings when interest is keen, you could turn over a few rocks and point out size-shape-color of what you find and relate that to classic suggestive flies like HE, PT, etc.

If/when a new fly fisher sees others using and being MORE successful with classic suggestive/imitative patterns, their curiosity will take them along to the next step in development.

True entomology is over rated. Understanding the basic differences between caddis, stoneflies, and mayflies is enough to get going. Also, you don't need any understanding of bugs to fish a Hare's Ear or Walt's worm or whatever. In fact if you are a beginner and you only have a handful of patterns, how hard is it to just work your way through your fly box and find what works best on a given day?

"Oh sucker spawn isn't working, I'll try this brown thing..."

I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't assume your protege is an imbecile.

jifigz wrote:
Instead of giving this person solely "junk flies" I think it is important to teach how more realistic yet generic patterns are often appropriate. I would have given him some PT nymphs and whatnot too. You don't need to have a ton of patterns but sizes of select patterns matter. Having and fishing something more realistic will give that person faith in flies that aren't gaudy and flashy and I think that is important.

Agreed ^

I've taught quite a few beginners how to FF and I too would not spend a lot time going through details about fly selection. Teaching the basics on how to rig and cast would be first.

As far as fly selection, just lifting up a few flat rocks from a riffle would be a way to intro a neophyte FFer to fly selection. Likely most bugs found under rocks will be browish/olive earthtones and fairly small. Give them a few PTs, HEs, maybe a SJ worm and a wooly bugger or two to get them started.

I would probably start them out fishing a wooly bugger, since it can be drifted as well as tugged around a bit and still catch fish. Also no need for an indicator, just cast across and down will keep their line tight and make strike detection easy. Most trout will hook themselves.

Teaching what a drag-free drift is, will help a noob more than entomology.

SteveG wrote:
Teaching what a drag-free drift is, will help a noob more than entomology.

100% true.

Yup: Cast there and keep as much of your line off the water as you can.
Best thing you can tell a beginner.

Also, teaching them where the fish feed and to focus on those areas.

I've said it a million times before, but....most aquatic insects are brown, green, or greenish-brown. No need to over think it.

Back