Juniata SMB

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Found article linked below about chemicals found in the J river which interfere with SMB spawning.

Here is an excerpt from that article >

"A study was conducted in in 2019 by our own Juniata College and published in the Journal of Freshwater Ecology. It identified potential threats to the Smallmouth Bass Population in the Juniata River. It is a technical read but I came here to summarize what it says:
Endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) were found at all 11 sites (tributaries to the Juniata River, like Aughwick/Millerstown etc) in relatively high concentrations, specifically Atrazine and Metolachlor (herbicide chemicals). These chemicals disrupt the hormones in the smallmouth bass and other fish, causing the males to produce eggs (Vitellogenisis) in their testes. 100% of the 22 male Smallmouth Bass caught and examined in this study had the protein precursor (Vitellogenin) which signals to the bass to incorrectly produce the eggs. This can have cascading reproductive effects on not only these fish but also in the food chain. Atrazine is arguably the most significant agricultural EDC in the United States at this time, as it is the most widely used herbicide on broadleaf crops including corn, soybeans, and sorghum . Most recently, the US EPA’s risk assessment concluded concentrations of atrazine at 5 ug/L are likely to have reproductive effects on fish, yet its application has been outright banned for agricultural use in the European Union since 2003. Metolachlor is also present and this study also says that when there are multiple EDCs present they work together to have an even stronger effect."

Is there a publicly accessible link to the article?

Things like that making the news/seeing daylight are the tip of the ice berg. The amount of endocrine disrupting chemicals in the Susquehanna is truely saddening. It essentially drains mostly Ag use watersheds so all the Bayer/Monsanto goodies roll down hill when it rains and there are big concerns for Parkinson’s and lymphoma in humans. They still allow Dicamba product use in PA! Get your reverse osmosis water purifiers if ya want to beat the PFAS too. Soon the extra Parkinson’s,lymphomas/leukemia causing goodies will soon probably exceed the number H2O molecules in the water lol.

Don’t know how many people familiar with this book. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring

It's not just the Susquehanna. These endocrine disruptors are showing up everywhere, even in fishes in the ocean.

It's not just the Susquehanna. These endocrine disruptors are showing up everywhere, even in fishes in the ocean.
I didn’t know that but I can belive it. Micro plastics big in fresh and saltwater fish as well I think.

Back