July 4th Holiday Class A Hunting

drakeking412

drakeking412

So I finally made the push to learn to fish Class A waters and maybe hook into my first native brookie seeing as we still can't get a break from the thunderstorms and high temps. I was going to head up to the Slate/Pine watershed but I go up there a lot, I figured I'd save that for another time when Pine was more fishable. I instead opted for the Black Moshannon State forest area and the Bucktail State Forest/Elk county area.

Over the two and a half day trip I fished 5 different streams and walked countless miles. Some streams were nicer than others and I really learned a lot about small stream fishing and my new rod. My bow and arrow cast is usable now and sometimes I even catch fish with it! I was lucky enough to see some wildlife on my travels too including an elk cow and calf, a herd of elk grazing, and the highlight, a mother black bear and her two cubs!

I want to thank wild_trouter for the suggestion on the 7' Cortland CL, man do I love that rod already. I can actually feel it load properly and I think it's helping me to get better. Also big thanks to klingy for all of the tips and tricks he shared with me over the past couple days. I know a couple of them rang through my head over the days and probably helped to put fish in the net.

I'll add that all of the fish were caught on an elk hair caddis and then I switched to a parachute adams, boy is dry fly addicting! I only lost two caddis the whole trip also, unbelievable right!? Over the five streams I caught almost 50 fish and missed some too and was skunked on two of them although the one I just pull off fished.

Fly fishing is super addicting and halfway back home I considered turning around to go back to Central PA for more. Thanks to everyone here for the reports, tips, and help. Now for some pictures!

Attachments

• Beautifulbrown300.jpg
    Beautifulbrown300.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 8
  • BeaverPond300.jpg
    BeaverPond300.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Brookie300.jpg
    Brookie300.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
  • LittleBrown300.jpg
    LittleBrown300.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Vermiculation300.jpg
    Vermiculation300.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3
  • BearCub2300.jpg
    BearCub2300.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2
  • cowandcalf300.jpg
    cowandcalf300.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 4
What a great report!
Kudos to Wild-Trouter for helping you get pointed int he right direction. It sure looks like you had a great time on the mountain streams. A big part of the appeal of small stream, mountain trout fishing in PA is the beautiful landscape and wildlife one encounters - like a cow elk with calf.

Thanks for posting this - good stuff.

Another huge bonus of those small mountain freestoners are how willing those trout are to eat dries..good choice......elk hair Caddis is my personal favorite. Good pictures and great report. Congratulations.

IF YOU TAKE A CHINESE MAN AND SPIN HIM AROUND....

Great thread. Congrats using your new 7' for those wild fish, you did well! Awesome pics as well.
I LOVE my little St. Croix 7' 3wt. Pretty much all I use.

Great report Alex! Glad that rod is working out for you and you sufficiently broke it in :)

Awesome! Glad you were able to hook up with some brookies. That brown is really nice too - congrats!

Drakeking,

You really accomplished a lot in a very short time. That’s a full season’s worth for many people. Congrats!

Got a little of everything in there. Congratulations

Very nice report and photos. Yes indeed, we are very blessed here in PA with more miles of beautiful trout waters to explore than we’ll ever be able to cover. Congrats, a lifetime of adventures awaits!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! We truly are blessed here in PA and it's going to be hard to ever move somewhere else.

JackM wrote:
IF YOU TAKE A CHINESE MAN AND SPIN HIM AROUND....

Wasn't funny the first time, and YELLING it didn't help. ;-)

To the OP... I'm envious. Glad to see you made it out and did well.

Back