Jordan dam removal

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
http://stream-hugger.blogspot.com/2015/04/grass-roots-science-denial-blocks-dam.html

One of the guys leading that fight, Molovinsky, is a crazy old coot but he and his cronies campaign of misinformation, ignorance & contempt won over the council members. I suspect many of the 7500 signatures are dubious too.

I wonder if the Commissioners realize that they own the dam and are liable for damages if someone drowns or there is a breech and the dam fails completely as the owner. Also they are responsible if it is declared unsafe and then has to be removed. The cost of a dam removal is expensive.

They know.

Chaz wrote:
I wonder if the Commissioners realize that they own the dam and are liable for damages if someone drowns or there is a breech and the dam fails completely as the owner. Also they are responsible if it is declared unsafe and then has to be removed. The cost of a dam removal is expensive.

Yes they know, they voted to spend taxpayer money repair it instead of allowing it to be torn down, of which costs for the latter option could've been covered mostly by grants. There is a good deal of money available to help cover the cost involved with taking down an obsolete dam. However there is much less money available for the repairs of such dams, as this township is going to soon find out. So happy for them and I hope the cost to repair becomes even more than they estimate.

Drop in the bucket for that area.

SBecker wrote:
Drop in the bucket for that area.

I went to a few of my townships meetings back when I first moved in. I was surprised at how much cash they had on hand, how much they could access if needed, and how much total revenue was. Heck in my area they spent $100k on a plan to move the firehouse three blocks because more fires where on the other side of the main intersection. They put forth a plan that would cost $3M for the move. Finally abandon it when the locals complained about the construction impact.

I don't think the removal costs would phase these councils a bit. The commissioners are purely reacting to the locals (ie voters).

Back