Jig hooks

1manwolfpack

I picked up some jig hooks at the fly show this weekend and started tying some up tonight. As I was tying I wondered if the tippit might dislodge or prevent hookups. I don't really have any experience fishing jig hooks but they seem like a good idea for an anchor fly that is bouncing along the bottom. Anyone find that they get more missed hookups with jig hooks?

I don't tie a lot of patterns on jig hooks, but when I've used them I did not notice any problems and hooked plenty of fish without issue.

Use them all the time on streamers with no issues,They do prevent a few hook ups though meaning the rocks on the bottom.

I have been tying on jig hooks for the last year and about 4 months ago, I made the switch to all mainly all jigs for my comp style euro nymphs. I LOVE them. I tie all my nymphs with tungsten beads, that being said I hang up A LOT. However, I have really noticed a substantial decline in the number of flies I lose with jigs vs standard.

As for being worried about decrease in # of hookups, there is no need to worry about that, if you're euro nymphing( I'm assuming so) then hookups won't be defined by the type of hook, but by technique and how well you're detecting a strike.

Point being, jig hooks are awesome, the more you tie on them and fish them, you'll be impressed.

Except for the price, there is no downside to jig hooks. Hook ups are very good. They hold well. And I do they they hook the bottom less.

I am looking to tie up some flies with jig hooks. What brand barbless would you recommend.

@ Tracker, firehole sticks are great hooks and so are fulling mill hooks. Both are very durable and extremely sharp, but they are a bit pricey. Personally I buy Saber hooks. However, they are not as heavy duty as the previous mentioned brands but are just as sharp and will totally get the job done. They way more more wallet friendly too, I get packs of 100 for 6.99 and shipping is always very fast.

I wouldn't use the sabers on steelhead but for stocked and wild trout, they are perfect. Ive put them to the test on fish in the 20+ inch and 4-5 lb range and they didn't waiver at all.

All in all I'd highly recommend saber hooks.

Great Thanks for the recommendation. Looked at the Fulling Mill site and was going to try them out until i saw they wanted $20 to ship a pack of hooks an beads.

I bought some at a fly shop and thought the 12.00 was high until I saw it was a fifty pack. A few months back Daiichi sent me a pack of assorted jig hooks marked sample, I got it by sending them a email as I saw a advertisement in one of the magazines.

Price of the hooks were not all that bad. I did send them an email to let them know it would be nice if thy would offer a sample pack at a reasonable cost.

Daiichi sent the sample pack for free. Now that I look at the package they were jig hooks (4640 specialty hooks) size 14. I don't recall how many maybe 6 or 10??? I do recall giving them a code in my email, However they will probably send them anyway. If I come across the code I will pass it along. The code was on a advertisement in one of the fly fishing magazines.

Thought I should follow up on my contact with Fulling Mill. After emailing them about shipping charges I got very quick response. I was able to pick up a couple packs to check out for $3.95 shipping. I can deal with that. Cudos to them for the quick email and response.

Jig hooks from a regular supplier are cheaper, but only go down to size 12.

Check out //www.captainhookswarehouse.com/index.cfm?page=home

BTW, they carry steelhead jig hooks in sizes 10 and larger.

I also use Octopus hooks for steelhead egg and nymph patterns with success.

Here's a good place for jig hooks for $3.50 for a pack of 25. Free shipping when you order over $10. Good price on tungsten beads to go with them too.
https://www.risenfly.com/collections/hooks

Cabelas has 50 packs for 7.49; of course I used my points and got a couple packs when they were offering free shipping with no minimum.

Back