Jig hooks for nymphs

Deuterium

Deuterium

Based on some older threads, I ordered jig hooks and slotted beads from Trouthunter to tie some Frenchies. Any tips for tying on jig hooks would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Deuterium wrote:
Based on some older threads, I ordered jig hooks and slotted beads from Trouthunter to tie some Frenchies. Any tips for tying on jig hooks would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jig hooks and slotted beads have become popular. As I've posted many times before, the same effect (flipping the hook point-side up) can be achieved by simply using a curved scud hook (with or without a bead) and wrapping some lead on the shank of the hook. The lead wire ends up above the centerline of the hook and flips over the hook....every time. It saves on having to buy yet another style of hook (jig hooks) as well as having to purchase special beads (slotted beads). Just FYI.

Attachments

• scud hook centerline.jpg
    scud hook centerline.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 3
I agree with the scud hook practice 100%. The weighted flies people tie on scud hooks ride point up. So the wing cases on those Czech nymphs ride on the bottom and fish still eat them.

One jig hook advantage is that the hook can be unweighted or lightly weighted and still turn point up since the center of gravity of the hook is more offset. This may help for those that like light flies with weight on the line rather than weighted flies. They may also ride more horizontal when lightly weighted. I am also a jig tyer and jig fishermen worry about weight distribution so some jigs swim horizontal like a real minnow of bug (especially for neutral fish).
Sometimes jig tyers go so far as tying a pin ahead of the hook eye and adding the weight forward to balance the weight of the hook.
However, weighted flies tied on scud hooks will ride hook up, especially when led. I do like jig hooks (partly because I also tie trout and bass jigs), but scud hooks do perform similar and some of the jig hook thing is hype.

I've been playing around with tying flies with out wingcases lately. It goes against my OCD and how I have tied the last 14 years of my life, but it makes me wonder if wingcases are really necessary anymore. Kind of the whole looks the same 360 degree type of tying.

mike_richardson wrote:
I've been playing around with tying flies with out wingcases lately. It goes against my OCD and how I have tied the last 14 years of my life, but it makes me wonder if wingcases are really necessary anymore. Kind of the whole looks the same 360 degree type of tying.

Tying nymphs "in the round", without wingcases, goes right back to the beginning.

http://heritageflies.com/fly-collections---fly-fishi/connoisseur-range/gem-skues-nymphs/gem-skues-nymphs-gallery/skues-no-vii-medium-olive--.html

afishinado wrote:
Deuterium wrote:

Thanks.

Jig hooks and slotted beads have become popular. As I've posted many times before, the same effect (flipping the hook point-side up) can be achieved by simply using a curved scud hook (with or without a bead) and wrapping some lead on the shank of the hook. The lead wire ends up above the centerline of the hook and flips over the hook....every time. It saves on having to buy yet another style of hook (jig hooks) as well as having to purchase special beads (slotted beads). Just FYI.

Thanks. I’ll tie some on scud hooks as well.

afishinado wrote:
Deuterium wrote:

Thanks.

Another tip if you run out of jig hooks before you run out of slotted beads..
You can use slotted beads on regular hooks and still have the hook invert. Just jam some lead behind the bead to prop it UP. Rotate vise so bead stays in place, tie in bead/lead combo, rotate vise to proper spot and get to tying.

a straight hook and insta jig tungsten beads and you be jigging

hareline-insta-jig-tungsten-head-13.png

Thanks. I’ll look for them.

If nymphing is your game, then I highly recommend using jig hooks. Especially if you are into Czech nymphing. I personally really like them. I tie 90% of my nymphs on jigs.

The negative outcome you get from adding all the lead required to flip the hook is you can't keep a slim body in case of perigons, frenchies, and other slim mayfly nymphs. Using all that lead is good for hares ears and walts worms type.

Jig hooks with slotted bead tungsten works great for frenchies.

jkilroy wrote:
The negative outcome you get from adding all the lead required to flip the hook is you can't keep a slim body in case of perigons, frenchies, and other slim mayfly nymphs. Using all that lead is good for hares ears and walts worms type.

They sure do, 90% of my frenchies are on jig hooks, cant have too many!!
BOX_2.jpg
[/url][/img]
BOX_1.jpg
[/url][/img]

NewSal wrote:
jkilroy wrote:

BOX_2.jpg
[/url][/img]
BOX_1.jpg
[/url][/img]

^ Some really nice looking flies there!

I tie a wide variety of flies on scud hooks, even thin bodied flies like frenchies, also some thin-bodied baetis, even some small zebra midges.

A few turns of really small diameter wire behind the bead is all it takes. You can take some turns of thread behind the wire to make a tapered body. Also you can even tie in the wire parallel along the top of the hook shank if you wish to make a super-thin fly.

I like the hooking ability of the hooks and can use regular brass bead, a tungsten bead and use the wire to tie the fly any weight desired. Also I can tie a realistic fly without a bead. I've had great luck tying baetis nymphs without bead for really fussy fish in clear spring creeks.

afishinado wrote:
NewSal wrote:
jkilroy wrote:

BOX_2.jpg
[/url][/img]
BOX_1.jpg
[/url][/img]

^ Some really nice looking flies there!

I tie a wide variety of flies on scud hooks, even thin bodied flies like frenchies, also some thin-bodied baetis, even some small zebra midges.

A few turns of really small diameter wire behind the bead is all it takes. You can take some turns of thread behind the wire to make a tapered body. Also you can even tie in the wire parallel along the top of the hook shank if you wish to make a super-thin fly.

I like the hooking ability of the hooks and can use regular brass bead, a tungsten bead and use the wire to tie the fly any weight desired. Also I can tie a realistic fly without a bead. I've had great luck tying baetis nymphs without bead for really fussy fish in clear spring creeks.

Thanks! That box changes some throughout the season but that's my nymph box and that's what I use most of the time, I sub in things here and there but mostly that's what I'm fishing.

As far as thin bodies with no bead and a little weight, I like to flatten the round lead out with a rolling pin before wrapping onto hook, if you take your time you can really get a super nice tapered body with flat lead, it takes a little messing with and you have to be more careful when tying down to not move it around but the end result is usually pretty darn nice!

I bit the bullet and picked up quite a few jig heads. Some from Firehole Outdoors and Some Gamakatsu.

My biggest issue was that some of the slot was visible on these. Any tips on how to tie so you cant see that slot. Im sure it makes no difference to the fish, but it drives me nuts.

I figured just adding some dubbing or a hot spot is all I could do.

Mike: After wrapping a little lead/lead-free wire behind the bead, you can flatten the wire vertically so it fits into the slot. I have not found this to fill the entire slot, but it helps.

Back