Jeans Run

C

Chriskeays123

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum so any help will be greatly appreciated. I live in the Lehigh Valley area and I go fishing almost every day. I am very interested in doing some wild brook trout fishing this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any info on jeans run. It looks beautiful from the map and videos I've seen but I have never been there. I am only 24 so a long hike/rough terrain is ok with me. I'm just mainly trying to figure out where this run can be accessed from and what stretches of it can be fished. I know casting quarters are going to be tight but that is ok. Just looking to get out here before the winter time makes it a risky adventure. Feel free to pm me

Welcome to our online community - glad to have yuh.

My best advice for you would be to get yourself a DeLorme Gazetteer Atlas, it will show you all those details.

Millsertime yes fly fishing is the only way I fish these days. Barbless hooks, and I don't enjoy eating fish so always catch and release also. Wild trout are the atlases much more helpful then using google maps and other online resources?

And thank you for welcoming me to the community!

State game lands maps are available online and can be customized and printed out - could be very helpful for jeans run

Haven't fished that particular one yet so no specific advice

But have read (on here) that it is treacherous in winter so now would be the time

When you're alone park at the parking area on the SGL at the top of the mountain on rt. 93 above rt. 209. It's not even a mile from there to Jeans Run, then hike along the east side to go down the mountain. You can pretty much hike to the bottom. It's a strenuous hike, that I'd think twice about doing alone. But the fishing can be quite good. It's C & R fishing from Labor Day till opening day.

Thanks a lot Chaz, that info is really helpful.i won't be going alone, I fish with my uncle quite often so he is going to be joining me on the adventure. That does seem like the best option because parking for the lower section is limited. I will be going Saturday so I'll post a report on how it goes.

Be sure to really check things out carefully on the topo maps, satellite photos etc. before choosing a route.

AcmeMapper is a good website for that.

The terrain is very steep, rugged. Be prepared.

Also, most brook trout spawning in PA takes place in the month of October. The 2nd and 3rd week are usually the peak periods, but brookie spawning takes place all month. This info is from central and NC PA. It may be a little different in that area, but probably not by much.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think we will be hiking from the parking lot off of 93 down to the bottom and walking the tracks to a parking lot off of 209. I think we're gonna pack our waders and hike down to the ravine section then fish down to the train tracks as much as possible. Hiking down seems a little less taxing then going all the way up. Any insight on if it's a better idea to start at the bottom and fish to a certain point then turn around?

You should just go fish, stay away from the spawning brookies, have fun and don't slip. My insight.

This actually is my favorite stream in pa. When I fish it I hike down from 209. I've caught some days decent sized fish at the mouth. Its super tight quarters fishing but its fun. I wish I wasn't in south Dakota. I'd live to fish this stream again

Actually you really don't want to fish downstream on this creek, the water is clear nearly all the time and the best fishing is to fish upstream, walking down from the top then fishing up.
But what do I know, I've only been fishing it for 25 years.

Chaz I will certainly consider that option. I normally like to fish upstream but figured downstream would make the hike easier.

so yesterday we fished the run. It was a perfect day for this adventure! Despite chaz's suggestions we fished the run downstream and i definitely feel like it was the way to go. It made the hike much more enjoyable and a lot less strenuous. The fishing was also very good. The fish really didn't seem to spook all that much and fishing small streamers helps you access lots of fish in the small pocket water as well as the pools. Having a 9' rod, while it sounds like a hindrance, came in very handy. The extra reach helped me put my fly where i wanted it. Short leader worked best. I started out with about a six footer and quickly went down to 4. of course some mountain laurel was still hooked due to over confident casting but it adds to the fun of this kind of fishing. All in all it was one of the most rewarding days of fishing I have ever had and I'll certainly fish this stream again when I have the chance. Thank you all for you help!

I tried it once, from the bottom to mid way to the top. Caught nothing but loved the location. Very small stream. Bring a short rod (7'6' or smaller).

Nice Trip report! The essance of adventure! Those type of days are not forgotten. I have fished all around there, but have yet to take a side trip into that ravine. Seems I need to.

Any pics ? :)

If you need a simular type of adventure you may want to look at some maps for Stoney Creek on the other side of the Lehigh gorge. Access on top by the road is mostly private land, but there are legal ways if you study the State Game maps. Heck you could bike up the gorge and cross the river with the flows as low as they are now to gain acess to the bottom.

Back