JAM Hatches?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I finally got the word I can go to the JAM. I don't know why my wife said yes, but I'll take it. I should probably go play the lottery now lol.

Now that I'm planning on coming. What are some of the better hatches at that location for that time of year that I should be prepared for. I'm getting into more and more dries each year I fly fish, so I want to be prepared. Any information is appreciated... patterns, time of day, stream, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Scroll down this page for an idea:

http://www.thefeatheredhook.com/stream.html

I would be ready with March Browns, Grey Foxes and Sulfurs

Scuds, walt's worms, sulphurs, and IPAs. That's about all I'm packing.

a rain jacket hatch always seems to happen

Bruno wrote:
a rain jacket hatch always seems to happen

So I have heard! lol

I'll had my wife tie a few of those up. She's much better with the knitting needles than I am!

dare i ask what a rain jacket hatch is?

flipnfly wrote:
dare i ask what a rain jacket hatch is?

Don't overthink it. It just rains at every jam ever. It's the law.

Last year, Penns was too high and brown to fish.
So a lot of us ended up a spring creek, which was still in decent shape. I caught a lot of fish on tan caddis there

Last year I had the most success with sulphurs...on spring.

ryguyfi wrote:
I finally got the word I can go to the JAM. I don't know why my wife said yes, but I'll take it. I should probably go play the lottery now lol.

Twice when my wife said "yes" to a trip I returned to a "cleaned up" area where I had fishing and hunting equipment and materials organized and temporarily stored waiting for storage to be made.

In my case, she was "helping me" so I didn't have to think about finishing my projects when I returned from my trip.
Set me back many months and in one case years to achieving organizational goals.

I don't even ask to go if I have any unresolved household projects. I got tired of explaining "why did you need that? It just looked like junk."

Never once suspected she just wanted me out of the house. :)

vern wrote:
ryguyfi wrote:

Twice when my wife said "yes" to a trip I returned to a "cleaned up" area where I had fishing and hunting equipment and materials organized and temporarily stored waiting for storage to be made.

In my case, she was "helping me" so I didn't have to think about finishing my projects when I returned from my trip.
Set me back many months and in one case years to achieving organizational goals.

I don't even ask to go if I have any unresolved household projects. I got tired of explaining "why did you need that? It just looked like junk."

Never once suspected she just wanted me out of the house. :)

I was honestly quite surpised/frightened when she said yes. She hates that I work long hours, let alone be gone for 3 days. The way my fly tying desk looks, I'm sure that could be a possiblility when I return. I was especially surprised after I was 3 hours late last weekend from a fishing trip... she was ticked!

I heard the Pilsner Hatch will be coming off there...

sandfly wrote:
I heard the Pilsner Hatch will be coming off there...

Be sure to clean up the shucks! :-D

Tying for the jam

www.cs.drexel.edu/~jal63/jamflies.jpg

jayL wrote:
Tying for the jam

As am I, I tied up 2 grey foxes and 4 parachute sulphurs on my lunch hour today. A few more march browns and sulphurs and I'll be ok. Need to restock my nymph box since the beginning of the season too.... I need a day off lol.

Posted a pic after you replied. Was having trouble getting it to attach.

is that one of those reverse hackle emergers?

I like the nymph.

It's a cranefly, but it's a pretty generic pattern and can be used to cover many situations.

The nymph is one of my more productive flies. I've never met a pattern that couldn't use a little partridge.

crane fly nymphs or dries ?

Both. A walt's worm is a staple up there year round. If the adults are around, hopefully my oversized hackle pattern above can get the job done.

Back