Jack Mickievicz

O

outsider

I lost a friend and mentor yesterday. I first met him in the early 70's, and immediately realized he was a special person who contributed greatly to the fly fishing world. Attached is a summary, not in my own words.
https://anglersportgroup.com/order/blog ... ickievicz/

Sorry to hear Outsider. I recognize Mr. Mickievicz's name from rod making.

I used to hang out at his fly shop outside of Phoenixville. Occasionally I would see him on French Ck. Many years later a friend and I bumped into him getting ready to fish a small brookie stream in Potter Co. He immediately recognized us and invited us over to his place for dinner after fishing. We ate and talked fishing. Still remember his anti fluorocarbon leader stance.

He gave me a beautifully tied Royal coachman wet. The next day in desperation I tied it on as a dropper and promptly popped it on a nice trout. Was so mad at myself. He surely was one of a kind and the fly fishing world definitely will miss him.

Sorry for your loss of this special man. I know he mentored you allot and it shows in your gear choices.

Sorry to hear this.

His dubbing blends are the best around.

Met Jack a few times and he was always fun to talk to...i still have a bunch of his dubbing which is the best!...RIP Jack

Sad news. I would always speak with Jack a lot while he was working at French Creek. He was always helpful and provided me with tons of good information in regards to fly tying.

Ron

I met Jack at one of my fly tying classes in 1985.

They were held at a place called the Fly Tyers Vice, and were instructed by the owner of the shop, Tony Marasco.

Apparently, he and Jack were friends.
And Tony brought him in to speak at one of the classes.
I really enjoyed listening to, and getting to talk to him personally afterward.

One subject that came up there, is something I still remember well to this day.
Tony taught us to wind dry fly hackle with the dull side forward. Said that it floated the fly better.

Jack however, claimed that it was better to to wind them with the bright - or shiny - side forward.

Theythen proceeded to get into some serious bickering about it, that was quite fun to watch.
Leaving me with the conclusion, that it probably doesn't really matter which way you do it.

Although I still to this day, wind the dull side forward - like Tony taught us.

Back