iso nymphs

bushwacker

bushwacker

anyone have a pic of the iso nymph you use. My research on the subject turned up sugestions of using zugbugs and pheasant tails but I don't think they resemble the real nymphs very well. Also, I know that they swim fast an are found in riffles. How do you fish them...like a streamer down and across through the riffles. Near the top, bottom, middle water colum? How fast of a retrieve? Which streams in se/sc pa have them? Thanks for any info., I really want to learn how to effectively fish this hatch.

My Iso Wiggle Nymph

Here's the best isonychia nymph I've ever fished with or tied to use:

http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/drothrock/isonychia_bicolor.htm

I tie mine very similar to Dave's (above) -- I did learn the pattern directly from him.
I make 2 changes to mine though:
1 - Instead of picking out the gills from the dubbing, I tie each in individualy from the remaining ostrich from the tail.
2 - I tie my legs pointing out to the side.

Yes, mine takes a ton more time, but I'm back at picking out the gills evenly, hate throwing away a bulk of the ostrich, and have a lot more time on my hands when tying.
I have all the flies I could ever need. To me having 6 awesome flies is better than having 12 okay flies in the same time period.

I am also going to try wrapping the ostrich forward and trimming the botton to make the fly flat -- probably a lot easier.

Thanks, Bob, I appreciate the vote of confidence. BTW, how's things up north?

Matt, my legs are tied to extend from the sides of the thorax. Can you put a up pic of yours?

The more varieties to be viewed the more folks can glean from them as to what they would like to incorporate in their own pattern. I'm sure there are a number of effective patterns out there.

Dave R.

Sorry Dave,
I re-looked at the pic. I originally thought they were tied in at the head and pointing back. I tie some the way you do, and some pointing directs out to the sides.

I'll post a pic at some point -- I think I'll have to take one.

We should fish soon, and you can see it up close.

I will admit it's very teedious tying in each gill on each side, but after a couple it starts to get quicker.

I hope sandfly doesn't mind... but here's a tie he submitted to the swap, it's on the index page. I've always thought it was a cool tie and wanted to try it out.

http://home.comcast.net/~jmanderino/Swap2007/PAFF2007Swap.htm#Iso%20Nymph

(it's about half way down on that link)

The first one is the one where each segment is tied in individually.

The second is one I tried with just ostrich (grey black and brown mix) I then trimmed it flat on the top and bottom.

Attachments

• DSC01407 - Copy.JPG
    DSC01407 - Copy.JPG
    558.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01404 - Copy.JPG
    DSC01404 - Copy.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 6
thanks guys. those patterns look alot like the real deal.

Another variation is to use a marabou tail, for that swimming action.

Back