Is this bug too thick to work?

Wildfish

Wildfish

I'm working on a small caddis nymph. I want it to look substantial, but I'm not sure about how close the taper comes to the hook point. Will this stay hooked?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 11
i think fishes will have hard time swallowing this the shape will not easily catch u a fish still give it a try lets see

Wild,
Your caddis nymph is fine. It reflects the shape and proportion typical of caddis larvae. As for how far down the bend you should tie the body, I wouldn't go any further as doing so would effect hooking effectiveness. However, what you've tied looks good and should fish good.

Looks good to me. Is that a size 18 Tiemco 2457? If so, I'd say that is the perfect size for Spring Creek (which is what your other thread is about) and Fishing Creek. Try tying a Zebra Midge too.

Like mentioned before the thickness if fine, but you have to keep teh bend clean or fish will start to shake off.

Bend the hook point about 15 degrees or so to one side. It will help increase hook ups.

Thanks guys. I just started tying again after a medical problem screwed up my learning curve.

WSender--that's a 14 TCO scud hook. But I can tie it on an 18. These are definitely in preparation for Spring Creek.
Thanks again.

looks like a bottom roller i was goign to mention snelling the hook a lil bit but fly eye beat me to it

don't worry about hook ups , its to satisfy fish not a fisherman , rather than ask a internet forum member if a fly will work , ask the fish , they are alot dumber (the fish of course )..lol

Thanks troutslammer, but I'm not so much asking if it will fool fish as much as I'm worried the thread goes down the hook too close to the point.

Back